Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What to do on Shavous
in the gap

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post What to do on Shavous
on: May 12, 2013, 9:55 PM

I was wondering what everyone recommends doing on Shavous? Is it better to learn or to say Tehillim and what about staying up the whole night? The only minyanim near me that I know about are vasikim, so it almost doesn't pay to sleep if I want to go to shul, but there is no halacha against missing one day of Shul.
Also, I heard a very nice speech on Shavous, and the speaker discussed how Shavous is a yom hadin for the ruchniyos, so i feel even stronger about doing something worthwhile than I did before. What is a better time to focus on aspirations of building a true Torah home than Shavous?

basmelech

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post Re: What to do on Shavous
on: May 12, 2013, 10:19 PM

I think you should spend time with your family, in addition to the other things you mentioned. Shavuos is a special Yom tov it is the day we received the torah!! I think only boys stay up learning at night that is their mitzvah, at least that is the minhag in my family. You can help them learn by watching your sibling and/or nieces or nephews! 🙂 Definitely try to work on middos and saying tehilim is a wonderful idea! I think i will try to say more tehilim than i usually do! Thanks for the idea 🙂

Sari

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: May 13, 2013, 9:11 AM

Quote from in the gap on May 12, 2013, 9:55 PM
Also, I heard a very nice speech on Shavous, and the speaker discussed how Shavous is a yom hadin for the ruchniyos, so i feel even stronger about doing something worthwhile than I did before.

Was the shiur online? Can you post a link?
Thanks!

in the gap

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: May 13, 2013, 4:48 PM

No, sorry. I went to it, but it was based on Mrs Smiles Shiur on Shavous, so try maybe to find one that she gave.

bibliophil-
e02

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: February 16, 2014, 2:40 PM

There is no reason why girls can't/shouldn't also stay up and learn. I think it is a wonderful thing to do if you are able. If you find a chavrusah or go to a shiur you will probably find it easier to stay up. In my elementary school we got mitzvah notes or extra credit or something like that if our parents signed a note that we had stayed up all night for Shavuos.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.072 seconds.