Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question on the Megillah
Esther

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Question on the Megillah
on: February 21, 2013, 11:56 PM

As I was teaching the Purim story to my class, something struck me that I never thought about before. Why did Mordechai save Achashveirosh's life when Bigsan and Seresh wanted to kill him? Wouldn't that be an ideal way to save Esther from living with this Rasha?
Anyone have any ideas?

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post Re: Question on the Megillah
on: February 22, 2013, 12:36 AM

Good question! Can I venture a guess? This isn't based on anything, just some thoughts...So although it wasn't until after this incident that Haman rose in ranks and began openly pushing everyone around, the king included, perhaps Mordechai realized that although Achashveirosh was a rasha, there was someone else pushing his hand. Had the king been killed, it could be that it would have been much worse for the Jewish people. Esther had the king eating out of her hand. Also, what did they have to gain by letting different rishaim revolt, kill the king, and usurp his position? Plus, Esther was the queen, who knows what would have happened to her...

life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: February 22, 2013, 10:37 AM

I read that part of their plan included either killing the queen or taking her for Haman... But anyway, clearly Esther's becoming queen was Min Hashamyim - he had tested that out before in many ways - so he knew she had to be queen, and after knowing that he had no excuse not to save the king if he had the chance. It's a mitzva.

Princess-
Lea

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: February 22, 2013, 1:23 PM

This wasn't exactly a democratic government. This was the messy, murderous ancient world.

We think Esther's position is so unique. The fact is, there were probably many Jewish women abducted and imprisoned in harems. And once there, they did not leave, no matter who died.

Additionally, except for the fact that Esther is in a harem, the Jews are living pretty well. They are not discriminated against, and until Haman's decree became public they did not have to fear. Back then, that was a lot from a gentile government. How smug we get in the good ol' US of A.

Being that the Jews were living pretty well, an assassination would throw everyone into chaos and bloodshed as a new ruler fought for the throne; Achashverosh had no heir until Esther gave him a son. No war? All good. It was better for all involved to keep Achashverosh alive.

dance4ever

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: February 25, 2013, 10:54 PM

you know what i was wondering? was esther literate? because it says that she and mordechai wrote the megillah. it could mean that she helped dictate what to write- BUT it can also mean that esther was able to read and write which is pretty awesome of her 🙂

Bracha

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: February 26, 2013, 4:14 PM

Why would you assume she wasn't literate?

heyhey

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: February 26, 2013, 4:24 PM

that hyst.! i was wondering the same...

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.063 seconds.