Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pesach Cleaning
thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post Pesach Cleaning
on: March 9, 2013, 11:01 PM

Bracha613 requested I write about Pesach cleaning. I'm not sure this was what she had in mind, but I thought this would be more useful than a rant about how Pesach cleaning just isn't that much fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

It is that time of year to take out the rags and vacuum cleaner --
To clean every inch of every space, not just getting rid of crumbs, but also negative demeanor.
We wash, cleanse, and scrub, but it goes well beyond this to a purpose that is higher,
For you see, for self-transformation in Judaism, change that is โ€œoutside-inโ€ we require.
What we do, not what we think, creates who we are,
Our actions overrule our thoughts, aspirations, and intentions by far.
Thus most of the mitzvos of the Torah are physical, hands programming the mind and the heart,
And so, our Pesach cleaning affects our inner space more permanently than it does our outer space, its counterpart.
What inner โ€œdirtโ€ are we targeting and cleaning is then the question,
If it isnโ€™t just about our physical things, itโ€™s then about what is our inner possession.
Chometz is likened to ego, as they both rise from pockets of hot air,
Ego persuades us that things of little real value are hugely significant and our judgment it impairs.
Itโ€™s our battle with pettiness, desire, selfishness, or negativity,
Anything that holds us back from becoming the great people we can be.
Weโ€™re effectively liberating ourselves from our own personal Metzrayim,
Breaking out of the things that make us tzar* (narrow), preventing us from fully serving Aveinu shebashamyim.
So cleaning is as much about getting rid of physical chometz as it is about removing negative demeanor,
To properly clean we need introspection, not just a vacuum cleaner.

*โ€Tzarโ€ is the shoresh of Mitzrayim

basyisroel

Dater

Send Message
Post Re: Pesach Cleaning
on: March 9, 2013, 11:41 PM

Thank you for the pre-Pesach inspiration!
Even though we all feel we need a vacation,
There is a reason behind all this preparation.
We're bringing ourselves closer to true liberation!

Bracha613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: March 10, 2013, 9:39 AM

I Love It! thinking BY girl Thanks! My question is does it really work? Is it like a segula that if you clean well for Pesach it will help you destroy your Yetzer Harah? Or is it just something you are supposed to work on at this time?

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: March 10, 2013, 4:26 PM

A little of both I think. Like you need to do some introspection and have this in mind while you clean. It's a little like hearing shofar (and how it helps you do teshuva) or lighting chanuka licht, etc...

InShidduch-
imFollower

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: March 10, 2013, 5:55 PM

a little bit off on a tangent, but rabbi miller ztzl of gateshead seminary says a vort on this idea.
ื•ืฉืžืจืชื ืืช ื”ืžืฆื•ืช- ืืœ ืชืงืจื™ ืžืฆื•ืช ืืœื ืžืฆื•ื•ืช and then chazal say ืžืฆื•ื” ื”ื‘ืื” ืœื™ื“ืš ืืœ ืชื—ืžื™ืฆื ื” the question is asked why do we use a loshon of ืชื—ืžื™ืฆื ื” (souring) and not a simpler loshon of ืชื“ื—ืคื™ื ื”, dont push off the mitzvah. because this is what pesach is all about, says rav miller. its about not letting our mitzvos sour with time. not pushing off, not losing our mitzvos, but about accomplishment, and building our ruchniyus, and our relationship with Hashem. its a loshon of souring, because thats really what its about. rav miller says, what happens to food when it sours? you leave it on the counter top and bacteria enters and begins to eat at it. slowly slowly the bacteria overtakes the food, and instead of food, you have a moldy item sitting on your counter top. same with mitzvos. a mitzvah is kulo ruchniyus, and we want it to remain as such. we want to reach up to a ruchniyus level and that is why we do mitzvos. we just have to make sure not bring out physicality into mitzvos. what is the most physical of all things? time (its the most limited, making it the most physical). time is the physicality we want to keep out of the ruchniyus mitzvah. what happens when we push off a mitzvah? it begins to sour. time along with its gashmiyus seeps into a davar that was kulo ruchni and slowly takes over it, and with time your mitzvah becomes more and more physical, taking away from it its beauty of ruchniiyus. that is why we should hurry to do mitzvos right away. we want the ruchniyus in them. we want to be lifted to that level of spirituality, not bring the physicality with us

Dater

Send Message
on: March 10, 2013, 9:51 PM

Thank you so much for the vort by Rabbi Miller ztzl of gateshead seminary! ๐Ÿ™‚ It is so inspiring and really gives me that extra push to do mitzvos asap and to try hard not to push it off. Hope everyone has a kasherin Pesach!!

Tanta B

Dater

Send Message
on: March 11, 2013, 12:24 AM

Thank you inshidduchim follower for a very inspiring vort! ๐Ÿ™‚

atararox

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: March 11, 2013, 8:54 PM

y am i so lazy??? i keep telling myself every night that tonight im ganna clean my room! but then i get busy with other stuff- like inshidduchim.com lol - and i have no patience to clean!!! HELP!

Bracha

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: March 11, 2013, 10:23 PM

I think the trick is to do it first thing in the morning ๐Ÿ˜€

Bracha613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: March 16, 2013, 9:28 PM

Quote from thinkingBYgirl on March 10, 2013, 4:26 PM
A little of both I think. Like you need to do some introspection and have this in mind while you clean. It's a little like hearing shofar (and how it helps you do teshuva) or lighting chanuka licht, etc...

I was thinking about it over Shabbos and It just seems funny. What does getting rid of the ego have to do with the Pesach theme? I mean isn't the reason we don't eat chametz bec. the yidden left Mitzraim in a rush? Does anyone know what the source is for this comparison?

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: March 16, 2013, 11:21 PM

I know these are far from primary sources but check out these aish.com articles by Rbtzn T. Heller and R' C. Levine regarding this topic. There definitely are sources that I've seen, but can't think of them off the top of my head.

http://www.aish.com/h/pes/t/g/48898532.html

http://www.aish.com/h/pes/t/g/48942566.html

Bracha613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: March 16, 2013, 11:38 PM

Wow! Thanks!
So it seems like what it has to do with Pesach is this
"Passover is the season of freedom. But freedom can only come if you have released yourself from being a slave to your ego."
Makes sense. But it seems like there's gotta be more then that. What do you think?

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: March 16, 2013, 11:44 PM

There is, of course. But I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you looking for a direct link between yetzer hara and chometz?

There are seven quoted names of "yetzer hara" in the gemera, one of them is "seur sh'beisa."

Bracha613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: March 17, 2013, 12:00 AM

No. Between Getting rid of the Yetzer Harah and Pesach.

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: March 17, 2013, 12:04 AM

Right, so you were on the money. Pesach is about freedom, it's Zman Chaeruseinu.

"Ain lecha ben chorin ella me sh'osek b'torah." and "Barasei yetzer hara, barasei Torah taavlin."

(Also, we're supposed to get rid of chometz for Pesach, that's the physical action. A spiritual equivalent, yetzer hara = seur sh'beisa, so there's your link.)

Make sense, or shall I explain?

mrswannabe

Dater

Send Message
on: April 14, 2014, 12:11 AM

I heard a Shiur recently that explained that the Ramban in the end of Parshas Bo explains that the point of Pesach is like a proof against the people that think Hashem isn't running the world from the Nisim of Pesach we see that he is running the world, and through this Nase explains the Ramban we can now see hidden Nissim also.

So that's what it has to do with the Gavia the Gavia wants to think Kochi Viotzem Biyadi, that it's not Hashem who accomplished but I accomplished myself.

That's why on Pesach which is the Yomtov where we see Hashems hand in everything it's important not to have Chametz which symbolizes Gavia, makes sense?

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.136 seconds.