Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: To All Those Considering Teaching:
Esther

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post To All Those Considering Teaching:
on: June 18, 2013, 8:12 PM

Hi Everyone!
I have been teaching for a number of years and a have been getting a lot of calls from other girls that are interested in getting into the teaching profession. I thought I would offer my guidance and advice here too, so if anyone out there is considering teaching and would like to ask someone about it that's been in the field for a while, go ahead, I'd be more than happy to help!
(Maybe people can ask (or volunteer information) about other professions here too, since there's probably someone in that field (or someone interested in that field)...)
Hatzlacha!

sem613

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Re: To All Those Considering Teaching:
on: June 18, 2013, 10:43 PM

I wish I had questions to ask you, but as I'm starting to enter the field I'm enjoying it so much that I don't know what to ask. any advice you have to throw out at us?

s.

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: June 19, 2013, 11:42 AM

hmmm...i would be interested too! I'll try to think of more specific questions.

Just a side note...I recently attended the levaya of the principal of my high school (a"sh), and her sons spoke about their mother (who was pretty much a private person) and related to everyone there that she was very worried towards the end of her life that there would not be enough jewish girls entering the chinuch field...i know it sounds crazy because we are so used to the idea of having "too many" girls becoming teachers, but when I think about it, many more of the girls I know today are going into architecture or accounting or graphic design or physical therapy..only ONE girl I know is actually teaching with a degree (and one who is teaching without a degree, temporarily). Isn't that crazy?? I'm sure you all know many more girls who are teaching, but basically, I don't think we should fear that there is no need, or that its overdone, or something.

"eyzeh hu chacham? ha roeh es hanolad.."

sem613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: June 19, 2013, 2:20 PM

I don't know if you'll be able to answer this Esther, but I'm throwing it out there for anyone who has advice. I always planned on classic classroom teaching, but recently I've had a bit of experience doing small-group teaching (where I pulled a few kids out at a time to catch them up) and realized I really enjoyed it. I'm not one of those people who enjoys or is good at working with special needs, but I'm trying to decide whether I should do special ed and resource room. any particular advice or comments?

Esther

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: June 19, 2013, 8:34 PM

First of all, sem613, it's great that you're enjoying it so much! It's so nice to hear someone enjoying their job so much. Definitely go for what you enjoy. A job is something you are going to be doing everyday - day in and day out, and if you don't enjoy it, you'll be pretty miserable day in and day out. As they say "if you like your job you don't work a day in your life". As for the resource room question, all schools are different. Some pull out all types of students on all levels, some have tutors come in, I don't think that small group teaching means only special ed. Do your research and look around. A smaller school or Hebrew school may be regular teaching to a smaller group too. As for S.'s comment I found it very interesting and true. I think a lot less girls go into teaching than they used too. Most likely because they are looking for a better paying career (which isn't always the case). But again as I said before, you have to enjoy what you do, even if you're making less money than your friend. Hatzlacha and let me know if I can further help!

getmeadate

Dater

Send Message
on: June 22, 2013, 11:21 PM

I don't really have any talents yet! But I do have something I can volunteer 😛 I have a Yeshiva Bachor brother I can ask any questions to so for any question about boys ask away 😀 😀 😀 😀

s.

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: June 26, 2013, 7:46 AM

Quote from getmeadate on June 22, 2013, 11:21 PM
I don't really have any talents yet! But I do have something I can volunteer 😛 I have a Yeshiva Bachor brother I can ask any questions to so for any question about boys ask away 😀 😀 😀 😀

haha that is pretty valuable 🙂

i think you should start a whole new thread for it though!

for starters, do boys in yeshiva tell each other who they are dating/that they are dating/how the dates are going?? i was under the impression guys didnt talk to each other about their dating lives (at least serious yeshiva bochurs)...

because -its not exactly the same thing, BUT- i was at the supermarket talking to a girl i knew from camp, lets say her name was Sarah. So Sarah told me she went out with this guy (who i had gone out with) and he apparently told her on their date that he had gone out with me and what we had done on our dates...HELLO?! it seemed wierd to me, i thought guys dont talk about it, let alone to the girl they are currently DATING. oy..

my friend also told me that a guy she went out with kept talking ON THE DATE about other girls he dated, and how he is overwhelmed with suggestions, etc. (!)

so do they discuss it? in general. (i know it probably varies depending on the guy) but is it like, they come back to yeshiva and tell their roommates/friends how their dates went? is that an accepted practice? i really hope not...

getmeadate

Dater

Send Message
on: June 26, 2013, 10:59 PM

Wow that's a pretty crazy story 😛 😛 😛 😛
My brother says that there are boys who talk way to much about dating... not so much for emotional reasons rather just for the sake of hocking.... but in general the good solid boys keep it to themselves.

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 4, 2013, 2:13 PM

yeah i recently dated someone who decided to tell me about all of his dates and stuff, plus he was totally full of himself anyway...i dunno what made the person who set us up even think about this shidduch but obv it had to happen, and i'm one closer. but yeah getmeadate, i'd like to know from ur brother why frum boys think its awful if they work. its such a great thing if they could work and learn that's exactly what i want but not so many boys are doing that!

getmeadate

Dater

Send Message
on: July 4, 2013, 10:01 PM

Quote from chaykie on July 4, 2013, 2:13 PM
i'd like to know from ur brother why frum boys think its awful if they work. its such a great thing if they could work and learn that's exactly what i want but not so many boys are doing that!

Bro says - Depends on the boy, some boys want to go to work already but think they won't get a good Shidduch so they say they want to learn a couple years (that's what a couple years usually means in my bro's opinion - me - maybe you should say you are looking for that) Then there are the boys who enjoy learning, they are taught that the right thing is to learn as long as you can, so being that they want to do what is "the right thing" they learn for as long as they can.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.106 seconds.