Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sports
Sari

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Sports
on: July 24, 2013, 1:59 PM

Do you think there is such a thing as a good solid Ben Torah who follows sports?

patcha

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post Re: Sports
on: July 24, 2013, 2:33 PM

Do you think there is such a thing as a good solid frum girl who reads novels?

life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 24, 2013, 4:17 PM

Sari: yes, definitely. However, they shouldn't be obsessed with it like young boys are. My great-uncle is into sports and will listen and sometimes go to games, and his 5 boys went with him when they were kids. The least yeshivish of the 5 turned it into a parnassah, and of the other 4, one is twenty and is extremely diligent in learning, 2 are accountants who spent a good while in kollel, and the fourth is a rebbi. And they all follow sports (to different degrees), enjoy schmoozing about it, are really kovei itim, have beautiful Torahdik children, and they and their children are healthy because they play ball, too.

iThink

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 24, 2013, 4:20 PM

Quote from patcha on July 24, 2013, 2:33 PM
Do you think there is such a thing as a good solid frum girl who reads novels?

Or follows entertainment news or watches movies or listens to secular music....Substitute these for any type of interest in secular entertainment.

life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 24, 2013, 6:29 PM

Do you think there is such a thing as a good solid frum girl who reads novels/watches movies/listens to secular music and doesn't feel guilty on hearing/seeing something occasionally/doesn't do teshuva? I don't think so.
I do think that being into sports can be a negative thing, by the way, despite what I wrote above. I know of boys who can't sleep without the radio on because they listen to sports shows so often, who talk about players more than Torah - and no, I don't think you could call them 'solid' frum. Maybe orthodox, but not yeshivish - and by that I mean not part yeshiva life. That kind of sport-addiction is HARMFUL to the mind and neshama.

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 24, 2013, 6:50 PM

I'd agree with watching/reading/listening to sports or secular media being dangerous and not conducive to being what we as a society have deemed "good solid frum" if it's to the degree that it has taken over much of one's life. Otherwise, everyone needs an outlet, some are more kosher than others, but someone can follow sports or read an occasional kosher novel/watch a kosher movie every once and awhile and still be "good solid frum." Perhaps part of it is realizing that it's not ideal, because all these things tend to create a static that distances us from Hashem and what is truly important (be it via mere distraction, subliminal messaging, timtum halev from the shmutz of secular entertainment, or stam orlas halev from the glitzy hevel), but I don't think it makes someone "not solid." Everyone has their yetzer haras, and we all have things that we need to work on. It really depends what you've been exposed to and where you're coming from. Everyone has different struggles. Why is it that someone who never watches anything, would never touch a secular novel, etc, but speaks indiscriminate lashon hara can be deemed "good solid frum," when someone who would never speak badly about anyone but watches TV or follows sports, can't?

Esti

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 25, 2013, 12:20 PM

I heard once that Rabbi Schienberg said that when he heard the Yankees won the world series he got excited. When he was a little kid growing up in New York he was a Yankee fan and he still got excited after soo many years!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.084 seconds.