Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Guys And Cholent
Sari

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Guys And Cholent
on: June 22, 2013, 10:50 PM

What's with guys and cholent? My Brother In Law won't touch a dish in the kitchen, won't cook anything ever, but when it comes to cholent he's in charge of the cholent! Why are guys so into cholent (also barbecues!)

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post Re: Guys And Cholent
on: June 22, 2013, 10:54 PM

interesting. bbq's are a "man's domain" even in the secular world. But I wonder how cholent became a mens' thing

patcha

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: June 22, 2013, 11:01 PM

Maybe because they don't bbq as often, so cholent became a man's thing instead?

In my house, the men like to taste the cholent Friday night, but only the women have any part in making cholent (or any food for that matter 🙂 ).

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: June 22, 2013, 11:28 PM

Quote from patcha on June 22, 2013, 11:01 PM
Maybe because they don't bbq as often, so cholent became a man's thing instead?

In my house, the men like to taste the cholent Friday night, but only the women have any part in making cholent (or any food for that matter 🙂 ).

The old joke goes:

What's the difference between a bochur and a kollel guy?
A bochur eats cholent on thurs, fri, shabbos. I kollel guy eats cholent on shabbos, sun, mon

patcha

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: June 22, 2013, 11:43 PM

lol

life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: June 23, 2013, 12:05 AM

In yeshivas, they serve food as a lead up to Shabbos - guys like meat and starch - and so they server cholent and kugel. What else would they serve - gefilte fish and chicken? Roast and steak are expensive. So that's what they serve, and boys got hooked into helping prepare it. My brother used to make the cholent in yeshiva, and sometimes he makes the potato kugel at home. That's what they like, so that's what they are into.

Avigail

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: June 23, 2013, 9:41 AM

I think they are into eggs also? At least my brother is 😛

justdoit

Dater

Send Message
on: May 11, 2014, 9:17 PM

At my oot shul, the men at the shul get together every Thursday night and have a mishmar with chulent. Includes teenage boys who are going to school the next day, the rabbi, and young adult men, and fathers/ grandfathers as well. Also for shabbos, two of the young adults (both married and siblings) have been making the chulent for the whole shul (about 200+ ppl each week eat it) and its a really big deal. But like for the women here, its not such a big deal, although, I have to admit that I personally love chulent, and I ended up ordering the wrong dish at a restaurant tonight with my mother for mothers day by accident and meant to order the baked beans instead. But then again- I am more of a tomboy.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.089 seconds.