Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dog?!
pray today

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Dog?!
on: July 21, 2013, 5:55 PM

So we are looking into this boy and we are told he has a dog!!!! Besides the fact that I am scared to death of dogs 😕 lol it makes me kinda wonder what his family is like. I mean it's not so usual for a frum family to have a dog !
Opinions please!

TryToDoWha-
tsRight

Dating Pro

Send Message
Post Re: Dog?!
on: July 21, 2013, 6:01 PM

I think it's a very healthy thing to have a pet. We have 2 rabbits and have had many other pets over the years. Especially if you're afraid of it - you have to ask yourself: "why am I?" Unless you had a traumatic experience as a child, most frum people are afraid of dogs because they're not used to having them. I think if children grow up with a pet, it instills in them love/caring for something, and responsibility.
Maybe it's a good thing that he has a dog...
And just because something is "not so usual" i.e. out of the box, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. I think Kol Hacavod for his family not just living their lives the way society dictates, but the way they feel is best for them!

in the gap

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 21, 2013, 10:40 PM

It is interesting you said that because one of my family members got a dog and was worried for the same reason, that it is not considered acceptable in the Frum circles. However, as i grew up with many pets ranging from a cat to ducks, and I think that pets give their owners a great ground to practise their middos on. Whether it is taking a dog for walks or having to feed your pets before you feed yourself there is a lot of maturity and responsibility that goes along with having such a pet.
Finally, I most certainly don't think that it is a reflection on his whole family, and definitely not a reason to say no.

shaynapuni-
m

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 21, 2013, 10:46 PM

"He" has a dog or "his family" has one?? there is a big difference if he has a dog that he plans to bring into the marriage with him, or is it just that his family owns a dog...

pray today

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 22, 2013, 12:22 AM

Sorry for not being clear his family has a dog.
Thank you for your response trytodowhatsright
is there anyone here who understands where I am coming from??????

iThink

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 22, 2013, 12:30 AM

Quote from pray today on July 22, 2013, 12:22 AM
Sorry for not being clear his family has a dog.
Thank you for your response trytodowhatsright
is there anyone here who understands where I am coming from??????

Yeah, where I come from nobody has pets and certainly not dogs. Would be super weird for me too. Don't really know what to say except either they're from a community where this is more accepted or they're a little eccentric. Not sure how this plays into the shidduch picture though.

not-
nogeiah-
who

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 22, 2013, 1:52 AM

pray today, I totally understand you... Both from the aspect of being afraid (I didn't used to be - i was traumatized by a really viscious dog that almost bit me after chasing me down a icy hill, with the owners running after, screaming, "RUN!") and from the aspect of being wierded out. You really have to know yourself and know the circles you feel comfortable with!
Personally, unless the boy is totally different to his family, i would say a boy like that isn't for me. But some of my best friends it would be perfectly fine for. You just gotta know yourself.

pray today

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 25, 2013, 12:34 PM

What about the fact that there will be a dog running around your in-laws house? I saw a dog walking down my block yesterday so I asked the owner if I could pet it 😛 it wasn't that bad but I still can't imagine being comfortable somewhere with a dog on the loose.

Princess-
Lea

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 25, 2013, 2:23 PM

As an animal lover I can't exactly relate. When us Jews used to be farmers we certainly had more familiarity with animals, and considering all the shepherds in our history, where would a shepherd be without his trusty sheepdog?

In any case, if the dog is the only issue with the guy, just go on a date and see for yourself. I have many frum neighbors with dogs. I'm actually petting one right now.

in the gap

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 25, 2013, 2:41 PM

It is scary, but you get used to it. I once went to a house for Shabbos and was told that the dog, (who was practically my size) was not to be restricted, so we better get over our fear. By the end of Shabbos, I was petting it and playing with it. Also, most pet owners know that people are afraid of their pets and they will lock them up for the duration of your visit.

life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 25, 2013, 3:12 PM

Bigger issue - halacha. There is a reason most frum people don't have them.

getmeadate

Dater

Send Message
on: July 25, 2013, 4:33 PM

Quote from life123 on July 25, 2013, 3:12 PM
Bigger issue - halacha. There is a reason most frum people don't have them.

Really? I never heard of that. Just dogs or all animals?

life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 25, 2013, 5:21 PM

All animals. I went to check it up, all animals are muktza, cannot be walked on Shabbos, can be fed on Shabbos but earlier is better. When Dovid HaMelech died, it was Shabbos, and he couldn't be buried. There were dogs that needed to be fed, and it was a shaila, but they were fed because it is tzar baalei chaim not to. And he said then, better to be an alive dog then a dead lion.

inshidduch-
im613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 25, 2013, 5:58 PM

There's also an issue of having a tamei animal in ur house...

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 25, 2013, 8:32 PM

Please. You are allowed to have a dog. It isn't assur in any way at all. Unless it is a dangerous dog that bites people.

life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 25, 2013, 9:06 PM

Allowed yes. But most people would rather not have to deal with the sheilos.

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 26, 2013, 12:55 AM

You mean they are lazy? Laziness is a bad midda. They should work on that.

pray today

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 26, 2013, 12:44 PM

Well Muktza could be a real issue....

TryToDoWha-
tsRight

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 26, 2013, 4:13 PM

Muktza is a real issue if you don't know the halachos...
And I think I probably would want a dog when I get married. I mean, I'll be able to live without one if my husband doesn't want one, but I would love to have a dog.

not-
nogeiah-
who

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 28, 2013, 7:16 PM

btw, and i'm not saying i subscribe to this opinion, but there are people that say taht having a dog is a problem l'halacha, and not just b/c of muktza.

not-
nogeiah-
who

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 28, 2013, 7:16 PM

and i don't just mean Joe Shmoe's... i mean real rabbanim

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 28, 2013, 8:46 PM

I don't believe it.

TryToDoWha-
tsRight

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 28, 2013, 9:47 PM

Nothing personal, but that's ridiculous.
My brother went to Brisk (Avraham Yehoshua's; and was the first boy in his yeshiva to ever make it in (btw the yeshiva isn't new)) and our first rabbit belonged to him. If there was ANY discrepancy in halacha over people having pets - and yes, dogs too, then my brothers would be the first to make sure we knew it was wrong and don't get any.

not-
nogeiah-
who

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 28, 2013, 10:06 PM

hey! i'm not saying i believe in taht! just putting it out!!!

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 28, 2013, 11:05 PM

No, I don't believe there are any real rabbonim who hold there is any halachic problem with owning a pet. I don't believe they exist. And I won't until someone proves it to me.

patcha

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 28, 2013, 11:10 PM

You have to feed them before you eat. And suppose you have a boa constrictor, you need to give them a live mouse to eat, and its tzaar baalei chaim to the mouse.

shaynapuni-
m

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 29, 2013, 12:24 AM

Quote from feigy123 on July 28, 2013, 11:05 PM
No, I don't believe there are any real rabbonim who hold there is any halachic problem with owning a pet. I don't believe they exist. And I won't until someone proves it to me.

feigy - what makes you so convinced of the halacha?? are you some maharat or something? 😀

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 29, 2013, 12:59 AM

Quote from patcha on July 28, 2013, 11:10 PM
You have to feed them before you eat. And suppose you have a boa constrictor, you need to give them a live mouse to eat, and its tzaar baalei chaim to the mouse.

And suppose you have a man-eating tiger--you have to feed them people before you eat.

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 29, 2013, 1:00 AM

Quote from shaynapunim on July 29, 2013, 12:24 AM

feigy - what makes you so convinced of the halacha?? are you some maharat or something? 😀

lol

patcha

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 29, 2013, 11:25 AM

Quote from feigy123 on July 29, 2013, 12:59 AM

Quote from patcha on July 28, 2013, 11:10 PM

And suppose you have a man-eating tiger--you have to feed them people before you eat.

LOL at this thread.
Let me point out that no Rabbi has ever said you can't have a man-eating tiger either. So perhaps it's like having a dog. It's just understood to be assur.

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 29, 2013, 11:55 AM

Quote from patcha on July 29, 2013, 11:25 AM

LOL at this thread.
Let me point out that no Rabbi has ever said you can't have a man-eating tiger either. So perhaps it's like having a dog. It's just understood to be assur.

That is true. The halacha does say you can't have a kelev ra, but never says you can't have a man-eating tiger.

What if you have a man-eating tiger, but also a tiger-eating tarantula, and also a tarantula-eating person. What will you feed to what?

patcha

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 29, 2013, 1:23 PM

Quote from feigy123 on July 29, 2013, 11:55 AM
That is true. The halacha does say you can't have a kelev ra, but never says you can't have a man-eating tiger.

What if you have a man-eating tiger, but also a tiger-eating tarantula, and also a tarantula-eating person. What will you feed to what?

LOL, excellent.
I think the answer is:
You feed the tiger to the tarantula and the tarantula to the person.
Then you feed the person to the tiger, which you then feed to the tarantula.
Then you feed the tarantula to the person, which you then feed to the tiger.

Then you can go eat breakfast. We're having Sunny Side Up Tiger.

not-
nogeiah-
who

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 29, 2013, 4:50 PM

hilarious! feigy123 and patcha you guys sure are funny!

bibliophil-
e02

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: October 17, 2013, 6:15 PM

It's a great conversation starter for the date!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.171 seconds.