Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ZivugZone
thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post ZivugZone
on: March 4, 2013, 1:05 PM

So I noticed ZivugZone is now a sponsor on this site, and I'm interested to know how it works. Although they claim that people are matched up based on personality, which makes ZivugZone different than other dating websites, is it actually accurate? I was curious about their personality test, so I checked it out. How can it work when the test has no validity (measures what it claims to measure)? The test is subject to self-report bias and I don't think there are any validity or error scales built in. Also, you have to choose between two not necessarily opposite personality choices, so how can the test really asses what you are like? For example if it asks you to rate if you agree more with the statement that you're easy-going and like to have fun or with the statement that you can have a deep conversation, they aren't a steirah! So if you remain neutral it could mean that you could care less about either, or that you are equal in regards to both. Another thing, since when should your "soulmate" have the exact personality as you? And, there are so many other things that are important in making a good match! The idea is great, but I just don't see how it works.

Sari

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Re: ZivugZone
on: March 4, 2013, 4:02 PM

Why don't you ask him? It says you can ask him a question in the comment box.

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: March 4, 2013, 4:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Apparently he doesn't want to answer them in a public forum. I'm also just wondering what everyone else here thinks about it.

Bracha613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: March 4, 2013, 9:22 PM

Those are a lot of interesting points thinkingbygirl. I think I heard that the goyish dating websites use personality tests like those. So there must be something to them. I wonder if they put people together people who have the same personality or maybe they put together dif. personalities that may be compatible.

iThink

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: March 4, 2013, 9:23 PM

thinkingBYgirl- I hope you don't mind me echoing the points that you mentioned. I just want to explain it in detail for those who haven't registered and taken the personality test.

Besides for some very basic questions on the registration page (basic Hashkafa: MO, Yeshivish, Chassidish, etc and marital history), the entire test is focused on your personality and temperament. There are no questions that focus on your learning preference in a husband (worker, long vs. short term learner), acceptable smoking or drinking habits (sometimes a deal breaker), or personal structure of priorities (family, social obligations, career, chesed) to list a few.

That being the case, I don’t see how this is much of a help in filtering through hundreds (or thousands) of profiles. There is a lot more to a shidduch than just compatible personalities.

My second issue is the way the questions are written. I don’t see how “visionary vs. administrator”, “soft hearted and caring vs. cool under pressure and level headed”, “emotionally expressive and highly empathic vs. intellectually curious and very interested in intellectual pursuits” are necessarily opposites. I found myself choosing neutral all the time, which hopefully means that I have some balance. The question is, how does the system interpret these responses? I’m not davka “in between” these two extremes, because they aren’t opposites to begin with! In fact, sometimes I thought I was a strong match for both extremes in the question (Ex: emotionally expressive and highly empathic vs. intellectually curious and very interested in intellectual pursuits)

Furthermore, even if the questions are rewritten to reflect two opposite extremes on an issue, how does the program analyze this information to determining compatibility? Is it based on principals like opposites attract? Many people get along best with opposites, but plenty of others work best with personalities similar to theirs. How can the system possibly accurately pair up profiles if it’s built on basic premises that are probably questionable?

Shaindy

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: March 18, 2013, 12:45 AM

I found this on an article on some site.
"Coan explained the “compatibility principle,” the basis for the website, that “the more personality traits that a couple shares in common, the easier it is for them to negotiate the challenges of marriage and parenthood. They come to share similar perspectives on key issues of married life because they are temperamentally alike. This is not to say that the couple should be a carbon copy of each other. A certain amount of personality difference promotes growth as the spouses are forced to examine their weaknesses. However, research studies show that when the couple shares core personality traits, they find it easier to develop emotional intimacy and collaborate."

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.061 seconds.