Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When is the right time to ask?
Miriam

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post When is the right time to ask?
on: August 11, 2013, 11:50 AM

I am dating a guy who lost his father and I feel uncomfortable when he mentions his father. So far he's mentioned him, but never spoke about what it is/was like growing up without him. Is he waiting for me to ask. I feel like it is something we should openly talk about, but that he should be the one talking about it. I'm just not sure what to do. Anyone have experience with this?

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post Re: When is the right time to ask?
on: August 11, 2013, 12:26 PM

if he talks about his father, that's an easy way for you to respond back with your questions. you know say something like "you speak about your father a lot, it sounds like he was a great person. can you tell more about...xyz.../that must have been really hard..." so many ways you can show that you care, and you would like to know more.

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: August 11, 2013, 2:29 PM

Agree with Chaykie. Let it come up naturally. When he mentions his father, you can ask him about it. It goes without saying that you should be sensitive about it.Take cues from him. If he's open about it, great. If he seems uncomfortable, wait a bit. He probably won't volunteer that kind of information if you don't ask, because it's most probably not the most comfortable thing for him to talk about. I'm not sure how far along you guys are, but wait until he's comfortable enough with you to discuss it. It's not the type of thing you talk about with every girl you go out with.

Miriam

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 11, 2013, 7:55 PM

Thanks everyone for your help! I hope it goes well!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.057 seconds.