Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boys with Contact Lenses
Sari

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Boys with Contact Lenses
on: April 2, 2013, 11:29 PM

Curious what people think. If a guy has contact lenses instead of glasses does that mean anything? Does it mean he is into his looks?
Thanks

life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
Post Re: Boys with Contact Lenses
on: April 3, 2013, 12:26 AM

Boys wearing lenses could mean:
1 - into looks - but that's not necessarily a bad thing if it's just about glasses, and a lot of people are embarrassed of their glasses because they get very thick if the prescription is high.
2 - doctor said it's better for his eyes
3 - he played sports in high school and cracked his glasses too often/got them for safety reasons - my brother has lenses because of this
4 - can get lenses cheaper than glasses
5 - other....

Princess-
Lea

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: April 3, 2013, 9:47 AM

In terms of what qualifies as a "red flag," this is the first time I have heard of contact lenses being problematic. If a girl wears lenses she's normal, and if a guy wears lenses he's a narcissist? Mammelah sheinz, there are other things to worry about, like, say, does he fly off the handle for nothing important, does he treat you right, is he polite to the waiter. Those are concerns about "red flags," as wearing contact lenses is really quite innocent.

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: April 3, 2013, 11:44 AM

lol

If this is what you have to worry about in your life...

bygirl

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: April 3, 2013, 1:20 PM

omg i'm rolling!
how would you know he's wearing contacts, anyway?
i mean, you usually don't notice lenses unless you get really close... lol!

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: April 3, 2013, 2:39 PM

i know plenty of boys who wear contacts. why do you think its ok for girls to wear them and not boys? why does it not mean that girls are more into their looks, but for boys it means they're too in to their looks? that doesn't make sense... chaysim stated many good reasons (and btw, girls can have the same reasons), and princess lea and feigy are right...

iThink

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: April 3, 2013, 5:01 PM

Quote from Sari on April 2, 2013, 11:29 PM
Curious what people think. If a guy has contact lenses instead of glasses does that mean anything? Does it mean he is into his looks?
Thanks

I don't think it means anything.

BaisYaakov-
Maidel

Dater

Send Message
on: April 3, 2013, 6:42 PM

Quote from bygirl on April 3, 2013, 1:20 PM
omg i'm rolling!
how would you know he's wearing contacts, anyway?
i mean, you usually don't notice lenses unless you get really close... lol!

LOL! i actually dated someone who on the second date was very uncomfortable because his contact got all dried out and was burning his eyes. I actually felt really bad for him, since I have contacts and I TOTALLY know how uncomfortable it is when that happens.. and especaly how hard it is to drive like that!!
but aside from that.. i agree that wearing contacts doesnt mean ANYTHING!!!

Sari

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: April 3, 2013, 11:41 PM

Thanks everyone for your input - just to clarify, I totally agree with everyone that this should NOT be a red flag when it comes to dating. I was discussing the idea of girls vs. boys wearing contacts with a friend over Yom Tov and wanted to know what all of you out there had to say on the matter. Thanks!

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: April 4, 2013, 2:28 AM

It may mean something based on a guy's background. The more yeshivish a guy is, the more such things as contact lenses become a "shtus." It may be considered trendy and caring about one's looks in some circles.

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: April 4, 2013, 8:56 AM

Quote from thinkingBYgirl on April 4, 2013, 2:28 AM
It may mean something based on a guy's background. The more yeshivish a guy is, the more such things as contact lenses become a "shtus." It may be considered trendy and caring about one's looks in some circles.

Yes, good, let's separate the normative question from the positive question.

The normative question is whether it is appropriate that all or any boys should wear contact lenses. Seems most are in agreement that it is appropriate.

The positive question is whether there are nevertheless societal groups in frum society where it is frowned upon, and where if a boy from that group wears them, it could tell you something about how he sees himself in his community. I have no information on any such group, but I imagine such a thing could exist.

miss right

Dater

Send Message
on: April 4, 2013, 10:12 PM

While your dating it's important to take everything you see and see if there's something that you can learn about the person from it. Sometimes it could be little at contact lenses, you can think that maybe there's a bit more to it and maybe totally not, maybe he just feels like not wearing glasses for no special reason at all. You should try to figure him out as best as you canin the time you have together, you can analyze things but not too much and not too litte.

rosepetal5

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: May 25, 2013, 10:38 PM

Maybe his wearing contacts has absolutely nothing to do with "how he looks"???
A lot of people prefer contacts because of comfort, not because of looks. Perhaps contacts are the best, easiest, more comfortable (etc. etc.) thing for him. Honestly, don't think too hard about that. Pay more attention to his personality than his contacts.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.076 seconds.