Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what should i do with my life? 🙂
chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post what should i do with my life? 🙂
on: March 21, 2013, 2:04 PM

hi guyz (or girls rather!) i'm new here. seems like a really great website, and i was so drawn to it, i decided to give it a try! ok, i'm going to veer off the topic of shidduchim for a minute, but this topic is very appropriate for a lot of girls, I think. It's called jobs, parnassa. ya know? 🙂 so here's the story: B"H i have a job that I love. I'm a teacher's assistant. I love children! so that's what i've been doing since sem (this is my fourth yr out of sem, i'm almost 22).
but when i came back from sem i'd been thinking about my future, and how i'm going to make a parnassah, so i could help my husband in supporting our family (notice i said that- i want my husband to definitely set aside time to learn, or maybe even learn half day in the beginning, but i do want him to work as well). so here's the thing: i tried out a couple of programs that i didn't end up feeling were the right programs for me. the first one was an online program and i didn't feel it was a good education, and the second one, well, let's just say i have no idea what made me ever think of doing it! totally not what i want to spend my life doing...
so i'm back to square one. i have no idea what i want to do with my life. B"H i have many capabilities, but I just don't know what i want to do besides be a wife and a mother and love my children to bits and pieces and all that stuff...
Now, i'm not looking for a job that'll make me dirt rich or anything- not at all! And I know i'm not "worthless" or "valueless" just because i'm not currently headed toward a career, which most of my friends are (they're all doing PT, OT, speech therapy, degrees in education- none of which i am even remotely interested.
i will say a few things: i have no desire to spend the next two yrs in college/skool. if i'm going to do skooling it has to be quick (at most a year), and it can't be expensive, i really really cannot in any way afford much. i'll tell you i love writing (but i only do a good job at it when the inspiration comes, and that may not be on a steady basis...), i love taking care of kids, like i said. also, i love listening to friends and helping them figure out problems/ making them feel special- i find those kinds of relationships very rewarding. i'm capable of learning things on the job, or something like that. any ideas? anyone else having a problem like this? or someone that has gone through it and found their way out? thanks 🙂

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post Re: what should i do with my life? 🙂
on: March 21, 2013, 3:14 PM

Based on "i love taking care of kids, like i said. also, i love listening to friends and helping them figure out problems/ making them feel special- i find those kinds of relationships very rewarding." I'd say you'd make a great teacher. If you work in the public school system, you can make a real paycheck. You'd need a degree in education though. Another idea is becoming a (child) therapist. The only thing is that the quickest route to that is a masters in either social work or mental health counseling, which will take you minimally 1.5 years (but you'd need a bachelor's and rereqs so it'll be longer for you). If you want more occupational ideas based on your interests, here's a good website to browse: http://www.onetonline.org/. The Occupational Information Network (O*NET) was developed under the sponsorship of the US Department of Labor/Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA).

Smile91

Dater

Send Message
on: March 21, 2013, 7:52 PM

Hey, I have the same problem-and it's so frustrating!I keep trying to get ideas from ppl, but nothing appeals to me-don't want to do any of the therapies, don't want to teach, don't want to be an accountant (though I am good at math-was always my favorite topic, though probably bit rusty now that out of school for so long). I do have a BS in Liberal Arts, I would really like to do an online program-have no patience to sit in class, want to be able to learn at my own schedule....I also love kids, but like I said don't want to teach- I'm more on the shy side, so can't see myself getting up in front of a classroom, if you know what I mean...but I do like interacting with ppl, so don't want a job that's "antisocial". I'm not in a rush to finish, so doesn't have to be an accelerated program, though it wouldn't hurt, but definitely don't want something that'll take yrs (no medical school, which is besides for the fact that I'm really not interested in medicine). I know I'm making things difficult....but when can I do, the job you decide to work at is something you'll be doing for a while and impt. that will enjoy, don't ya think? So if anybody would have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it-tizku limitzvos!! And Chaykie, good luck, hope you find something that appeals to do and that you'll enjoy doing-hatzlacha!

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: March 21, 2013, 10:11 PM

Smile91, what are some of your other interests? Only thing I got from what you said is that you like interacting with other people and you like kids (and math). Based on the first thing, here are some ideas: Customer Service Rep, Marketing, Counseling, Childcare Worker, Social Work. Based on your children interest: Child, Family, and School Social Worker or Counselor, Preschool Teacher, Human Service Worker, Education Administrator, Healthcare Support Worker, Technical Education Teacher. Based on your math interest here are some other suggestions (though it's not really math, but logic type jobs that usually appeal to math people): Actuary, Statistical Analyst, Financial Manager. I suggest you take a career placement test, it could really help you figure out your interests.

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: March 22, 2013, 9:24 AM

thanks guys! it feels good to know that i'm not the only one out there who can't figure out what to do. at least i have ppl to talk to about it! also, i could do a babysitting service, say, after i get married- those could actually make pretty good money, and then i could do something else (or a couple of things!) like makeup, maybe writing... that's what's on my mind right now.

Smile91

Dater

Send Message
on: March 23, 2013, 10:25 PM

Thanks for your advice. Surprisingly, my mom also thinks I should be a social worker, but what I don't understand-especially considering that she knows me so well- is how I can be expected to do that when I explained that I am very shy. I'm not so good with meeting new ppl. and making conversation-I really can't see me sitting behind a desk and having ppl. come to talk to me and me giving them advice....although in theory, it sounds good and I might enjoy it (if I wasn't so shy). I picture myself doing something more behind the scenes, but still with human interaction. Right now, I'm a secretary-definitely do come in contact with a lot of ppl, but not like major conversing. I do enjoy the paperwork, and I wouldn't mind a job with that kind of thing-but with higher pay, if you get what I mean.....Any ideal where I can take an online career placement test that will have accurate ideas?
Chaykie-my sister told me to go into babysitting, but at this pt. while I'm single, don't know if anyone would want to send their kids to me. But if by the time I get married(be'H, hope soon for the both of us), if I still have no plans, maybe I'll consider that. Good luck with figuring out what to do!

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: March 23, 2013, 11:13 PM

smile91, Amen 🙂 did you ever think of medical billing? there's the aspect of paperwork, which you said you don't mind, and there is the talking to ppl definitely on the phone- you didn't mention if you're shy with ppl on the phone, i'm assuming not cuz u said ur a secretary... and it's probably a higher pay. I have a friend who was actually trained in billing and coding on the job, I've heard that places do that. maybe that would be something you could look into for now.

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: March 24, 2013, 1:46 AM

Try this one: http://www.onetcenter.org/IP.html

If you're really stuck it might be worth your while to see a career counselor. You can discuss your interests, things that might hold you back, and you can take a bunch of cool career, personality, and interests assessments.

Chaykie, sounds like you know what you want to do, There's nothing wrong with being a preschool assistant or helping out in a playgroup as well as writing, make-up, maybe even hair (if that's something you can see yourself getting good at). These kind of things you just need to take a 3 month course or whatever.

Smile91, I was thinking from what you said that you'd enjoy social work. I guess I didn't figure that you're that shy, because you said that you wouldn't want to be teacher, but perhaps you'd be good one-on-one. You could do social work without interacting with so many people if you don't do counseling or therapy and work a different job of the occupation. Although, no matter how you cut it there will always be some social interaction. But I like the idea of medical billing. Or what about being an analyst? Is that up your alley?

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: March 24, 2013, 2:40 PM

thinkingbygirl, i've thought about doing hair, but i absolutely cannot stand touching other pplz wet hair! i don't even clean out the drain in our own home bathroom when there's hair around it. totally grosses me out! and ur right, a 3 month course or something of the sort is exactly what i'm looking for. as long as it's semi affordable...

Smile91

Dater

Send Message
on: March 24, 2013, 7:38 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, thinking BY girl and chaykie, definitely have what to think bt-but not now, after Pesach. Too much on my head now.....thanks and a chag kasher visameach to everyone!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.078 seconds.