Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Birthdays
tryingsoha-
rd

Dater

Send Message
Post Birthdays
on: February 10, 2013, 2:23 AM

It's my Jewish Birthday tonight... I'm really struggling with being happy to be alive/counting my blessings etc...., although I'm trying hard....

Am I the only one that struggles with birthdays while being single?

Your thoughts?

heyhey

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Re: Birthdays
on: February 10, 2013, 2:35 AM

You are not alone. We all struggle with birthdays. Keep up the positive attitude of what in life you should be happy with. Keep a recorded list of what you are grateful for in life. Read it everyday...

Happy Birthday!

Done w-
Shidduchim

Dater

Send Message
on: February 10, 2013, 2:38 AM

I once heard my brother in law speak about B-days an he said that he heard from a Rebbi in the Mir that on your Hebrew B-day you should go to the Kosel and say the entire Tehillim and then ask for one specific thing..but you need to say the entire tehillim straight. I called him to re-check this and he added that Rav Asher also in the Mir says your Hebrew Birthday is a day of Tefilla and he based that on the Pasuk in Tehillim..you know the Happy Birthday song from Shlomo Gertner..he quoted that Pasuk. And so, go for it!

Avigail

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: February 10, 2013, 2:39 AM

Does it have to be at the kosel? I also have a Birthday coming up..yikes!

heyhey

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: February 10, 2013, 2:40 AM

Interesting. i heard it is a day of judgment.

thanks 🙂

Done w-
Shidduchim

Dater

Send Message
on: February 10, 2013, 2:42 AM

Totally not..of course if you could be there that's great but Hashem hears you everywhere..at least that's what I was tough. But then again, maybe there is something with the kosel cuz people do that 40 day thing at the kosel and obviously that whole thing can only be done there..so not sure anymore but either way after asking for a Bakasha after reciting the whole sefer Tehillim can only do you good.

heyhey

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: February 10, 2013, 1:46 PM

huh? kosel... birthday?

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: February 10, 2013, 3:13 PM

Totally with you tryingsohard. It's funny because if we were married I really don't think we would dread birthdays as much. No age within the 20s range is "old" in the real world, these are the best years of your life! I think it has to do with feeling stuck, and as you celebrate another year that has passed, you unconsciously take stock of your life. You want to feel accomplished and that you are going places. Yet, we feel stuck because there is this pressure set by society that girls should be married by the time they are in their early early 20s (if not before). A frum girl's accomplishments are her family, so when we haven't had the chance to get there (by no fault of our own), it bites. With so many things in life we have control and we only have to try to accomplish; here it is not so.

Happy birthday btw! Do something fun or something you've been wanting to do for a long time. If you make your birthday into something to look forward to and something you'll look back at and think about how it was fun or enjoyable, it makes it more manageable. It takes the edge off it and your mind off the fact that you're aging another year without being married. Instead, it's time to celebrate life and have fun!

shono

Dater

Send Message
on: February 10, 2013, 3:32 PM

i definitely feel the same way as you! i am turning 22 in 2 months and that is the age my mother was when she had me... i cant get upset over it.. clearly it is not Hashem's plan for me to have my kid at 22... but its ok... i am not sure if u listened to chevi garfinkels speech on this topic (on this site in the inspiration section) it is really powerful! she said you cannot get upset bc hashem had in his plans for you to get married at 27 and your friend to get married at 17.... its hard bc we dont know but we need to try to strive on being happy in our single life and go out with your friends and enjoy yourself on your birthday... when the right one comes into your life.. he will be worth the wait.. we are all in this together!

basmelech

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: May 19, 2013, 3:27 PM

Yup its interesting birthdays when were little we love them when were single we dont and when were young adults enjoy it but older adults it reminds us that were getting older. its an interesting cycle. 😉 lets enjoy our youth while we can! 🙂

in the gap

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: May 24, 2013, 4:17 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows how getting brachos on someone's birthday work, I know the source for it, perek beis in tehillim, but what if the person with the birthday is in a different time zone. Then, do i have to get the bracha when it is also her birthday according to my time zone? Thanks

dance4ever

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: October 15, 2013, 10:19 PM

I dont think any adults really like their birthdays....i dont think its only a single thing...i think thats why we celebrate - its a comfort thing- kinda like eating a chocolate peanut-butter razzle after a really bad date 🙂

dazzleme21

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: October 16, 2013, 12:42 AM

in my family on our hebrew birthday we give each other brachos and give the birthday girl or boy brachos back !! we specify what brachos we want and alot of the brachos came true not all but alot!! 🙂 🙂 and its a special time to daven on that day (hebrew birthday) !! i signed up to dunkin donuts so i get free beverage there either cofee,coolata....(sign up before ur birthday) and 16 handles gives you 5 dollars to spend ther on ur birthday!! and sephora gives free birthday present as well i got! i collect my free gifts its fun!!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.081 seconds.