Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No Support
Avigail

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post No Support
on: July 9, 2013, 9:52 PM

How many years can a husband be in learning if the wife is making $22,000 with no support?

patcha

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post Re: No Support
on: July 9, 2013, 10:02 PM

None. Unless she has money saved up / they don't need to pay rent or health insurance / you live in a third world country.

pray today

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 9, 2013, 10:10 PM

Probably 5 years if you are willing to go on government programs. There are many government programs for people who don't make a lot of money.

inshidduch-
im613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 9, 2013, 10:37 PM

Avigail: there is no set number; it depends on a bunch of things! First of all, we all have bitachon that if we are doing our hishtadlus and working to support our husbands, then Hashem will provide. Of course we have to be responsible, but if we sit there counting out every penny then there is no room for Hashem's bracha to pour in without a neis. And Hashem has His ways to provide for those learning His kadosh torah. But that's if you are willing to live a true kollel life, without any extras. Our husbands will be able to stay in learning as long as Hashem allows for it and we are dedicated to upholding a home of Torah 🙂 Hatzlacha Rabba and may we all find our b'nei Torah soon!!

in the gap

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 10, 2013, 10:27 AM

I agree with inshidduchim613. Also, it depends on if he is in a Kollel that pays and where you live. If one lives out of town, (where rent is much cheaper,) you can probably get by until you have three kids or so, but there is no real answer. Just have a lot of Bitachon and learn to live frugally.

s.

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 10, 2013, 10:58 AM

I'm not sure if it technically qualifies as a third world country anymore, but live in Eretz Yisrael! Medical and tuition bills are covered and the standards in general are lower. English as a first language is in high demand and Ruchnius is more readily available than in the states. And your kids will know what they are talking about when they learn Chumash.

PurplePrin-
cess

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 3:18 PM

Let's break it down. These are estimates of monthly expenses of a Shana Rishona couple with no baby yet:

Rent: $900-$1300
Food: $300
Clothing: $50 (assuming she bought a bunch before her wedding, and the husband buys nothing)
Landline Phone: $30-$50
Cell Phone: $50-$100 (for two people)
Health Insurance: Free-$500
Entertainment: $50
Car and insurance: everyone different

This adds up to about $1500 a month.

$22,000 a year divided by 12 months is $1833. But we don't know if this is taxable income or not. Also, this does not factor in expenses that come up occasionally: dentist bills, vacations, gifts, mikvah fees, and so on. This doesn't either factor in a baby with all the accompanying expenses!

Avigail

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 11:18 PM

So why do people get support??

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 11:21 PM

Quote from Avigail on August 15, 2013, 11:18 PM
So why do people get support??

Because living costs for a young couple are not 22k/yr.

Avigail

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 11:44 PM

Quote from thinkingBYgirl on August 15, 2013, 11:21 PM
Because living costs for a young couple are not 22k/yr.

Explain

heyhey

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 16, 2013, 1:30 AM

I'm sorry Avigail but you are not being clear! What do you mean when you answered because the living costs for a young couple....?

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: August 16, 2013, 1:10 PM

I just meant that if you stick to PP's budget perhaps you could make it without support; however, living costs are nowhere near that amount. They're much more. Clear?

PurplePrin-
cess

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 16, 2013, 1:15 PM

Yeah, I know. That's why I wrote a disclaimer on the bottom! Here's my 1st year expenses so far, true to life:

Rent: $1175
Food: $300
Clothing & Accessories: $70
Household Items: $30
Landline Phone + Cable: $60
Cell Phone: we don't pay because on a family plan
Health Insurance: $320
Other Insurances: $300
Entertainment: $50
Gas: $100
Utilities: $50

$2455 a month. I tried to write down everything I could think of but I'm sure I'm missing something!

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: August 16, 2013, 1:48 PM

Is this one month's expenses? It also depends, among many other variables, what kind of spender you are, where you live, if you're making Shabbos/Y"t, having guests, paying car payments, eating out, how far you're traveling for work, doing anything besides for going to work/learn...eating meals...paying for AC/heat/water/phone/etc...and have no other medical or otherwise expenses.

No support means no one making ANY payments for you.

PurplePrin-
cess

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 16, 2013, 2:00 PM

Yes this is one month worth of expenses.

pray today

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 16, 2013, 3:01 PM

Look at the private forum.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.086 seconds.