Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Eretz Yisroel
devora

Dater

Send Message
Post Eretz Yisroel
on: July 18, 2013, 12:56 AM

Just wondering what all your thoughts are on moving to Eretz Yisroel after marriage? How many of you really want to and how many dont? As I get older and more distant from seminary I am finding that it seems so much more impractical. I see my friends who have moved there many only for a year and then move back to the states. They are just in a different world for that year and then move back to America "to start real life". What do you think the benefits of starting out in E''Y are and do you think its practical?

bya 5771

Dater

Send Message
Post Re: Eretz Yisroel
on: July 18, 2013, 6:51 AM

I

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 18, 2013, 11:45 AM

It's not for everyone- you have to be able to handle it. personally, i went to sem, and i loved the land and the hikes and the breathtaking views, but i could not deal with the lifestyle of the ppl who lived there. I really couldn't. It's not a way I could see myself living at all. I keep telling ppl, I'll love living in Eretz Yisroel when mashiach comes IY"H. but now, in galus, this is the way i feel, i can't connect with all that non materialistic stuff. And sometimes i feel bad about it, but I'm not on a level yet where i can totally appreciate everything E"Y has to offer...

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 18, 2013, 11:47 AM

also, i feel like some couples do it just because it's the thing to do right after you're married- but that makes E"Y a honeymoon destination, which it is not. If you really really want to start off your marriage with Torah, in E"Y that is a beautiful thing if you can handle it. But it's not a honeymoon.

daysfan24

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 18, 2013, 1:06 PM

There was a video with rabbi nissel, rabbi orlosky, and other rabbanim- reigniting our connection to yerushalyim, before that I always confirmed with myself Israel was not for me. But after seeing it, it really did change my perspective and how E"Y shouldn't be totally out of the question. I honestly really can't see myself there, especially without my family ( and I have no relatives there). But besides, financially, emotionally, I feel like I won't be as happy. However, I am now keeping it open minded for the future, maybe when I'm older and have already raised a family.. ?? Who knows.. you can always plan, plan, but sometimes, Hashem has a better plan for you.

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 18, 2013, 2:34 PM

daysfan24- yeah i agree, i didn't mean that if someone wants to go there for a year or two that i'll nix it right away, i might be able to deal with that so i'd keep an open mind. i do have friends that are doing that, and have done that in the past. so its not like its a foreign concept to me.

in the gap

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 18, 2013, 4:14 PM

I personally think it really depends on the person. I lived there for a few years and I am planning on living there for good, but it is not so easy for these girls who just come for a year or two. It also depends if you have support system there or not. I have a friend who called me crying the night after her vort because her chassan wanted to live there and she didn't think she was up to it....

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 18, 2013, 4:15 PM

I mean, there is froyo there, and no froyo here. So that has to count for something.

devora

Dater

Send Message
on: July 18, 2013, 8:19 PM

yeah but we have sprinkles 🙂

basmelech

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 24, 2013, 9:34 PM

I would love to live in Eretz Yisroel!!! That would be a dream come true! 😀

batsheva60-

Dater

Send Message
on: March 11, 2014, 5:33 PM

Now there is a newish issue to think about if you decide to live in israel, how do you feel about having your future children serving in the IDF?

bibliophil-
e02

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: March 11, 2014, 5:49 PM

I think it's an amazing way to start off a marriage. But long-term? Just not practical. It's hard enough to make parnassah here; why would I handicap myself to live somewhere where the cost of living is insanely high and I don't even know the language?

As far as IDF service...I would worry about them, I really would. But I think in the end I would support it as long as it was something they really wanted to do.

dschecht13

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: March 12, 2014, 5:55 AM

As someone who lives in yershulayim as a single girl now for four years. I can say like this, it is much easier to live here married then single. But it is an amazing thing. The only way you can really make it is by willing to do anything, especially if you don't speak hebrew. If you speak Hebrew you have much better chance of finding a good job, you can either go to school or come with a degree. But there is nothing quite like living here.

As for sending my kids to the IDF by the time my kids are 18 Mashiach will be here. And if he's not C"V then my kids will decide what they want to do.

Dating here can be harder if you don't fit into a box but again, Israel is an amazing place. Everyone here cares about one another, and you can get all your materialistic things here if you can afford them. And your never more then a few hours from the Kotel. And there are times when even the secular Jews no more here then they do in the states. And your surrounded by Jews, those who learn, those who don't those who know and those who don't but they are all Jews. You can learn Hebrew, and the cost of living really depends where you live if you live outside of Yershulyim, price of living goes down.

pray today

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: March 12, 2014, 3:42 PM

Really!? What's it like to live in E.Y. single? Do you have relatives there? Do you work? Do you see a lot of draft tension?

dschecht13

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: March 13, 2014, 4:28 AM

Hi Pray Today,
I do have some relatives here, I have a much older brother, and a married older first cousin.
I work full time for a private medical company.

As to the draft tension yes and no. I was at the Atzeres in Yershulayim. As an american it is hard for me to fully understand everything but I will say like this.
18 year old yeshiva bochurim should not be in the army, nor should girls.
Learning Torah should not be equated with criminal activity.
But do I think there is anything wrong with an older Yeshiva bochur going to the army, in order to come out trained in a profession afterwards no. But then again I am not a proponent of the whole Kollel system either.
I feel like as someone who does not have a son who is going to be affected by this, I don't get the whole picture. I think that the thing that hits home the most with me, is equating learning torah with being a criminal. I think that is extremely wrong. I'm not in the knesset, nor in any way directly affected by this. But there is tension,and I don't fully understand the ramifications. I also don't really believe that G-d will let this draft law stand. And fully believe that Mashiach is on his way.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.128 seconds.