Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cooking
chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post Cooking
on: April 9, 2014, 12:39 PM

So, I have this problem (it should be the worst of my problems!)- I don't know how to cook! when i was in elementary skool, my mother would always make supper/shabbos while i was doing homework (or sometimes shabbos food while i was in skool friday). now i've been back from sem a few yrs already...and i still don't know how to cook! anyone else in this boat? i just feel like "hey i can follow a recipe, what's the big deal??" but then i think- so many girls my age are cooking up meals, when u get married you have to make breakfast lunch and SUPPER... hmmm... i mean, i happen to know one young woman here where i live that told me one time that she also totally didn't know a thing about cooking before she got married, and it's totally not a problem (well, that gives me a head start cuz i can make eggs, toast/ grilled cheese, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes 🙂 ) anyone here feel the same? any tips?

ME

Dater

Send Message
Post Re: Cooking
on: April 10, 2014, 2:02 PM

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant cook. i mean ya, i can follow a recipe. but a few times i botched up pretty bad and my family does NOT let me forget it. k, so i made a quiche in a graham cracker crust instead of a pie crust 😛 but its over a year later- and the inside part was still really good AND i remade it the right way and it was AWSOME! and like ive made cookies, but because i used a cookbook recipe and not the exact ones my sister uses- it looked different during the whole process so everyone assumed i was messing up 😕 but ya 🙂 end result was pretty good. i honestly dont think its such a big deal!! hey, there are plenty of married ladies who cook well and plenty who dont. why does it matter now? I'm sure you'll be awesome- doesnt mean you have to cook now. besides, maybe you'll end up with a guy who likes to do the cooking 😉 and wow! thats more then i could do... ive had some issues with mac and cheese... now i can do it though- and toast and grilled cheese i can. but eggs seem to not like me....

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: April 10, 2014, 11:41 PM

well, y'see, guys have asked me in the past "so you like cooking?" and i've said, well, i don't cook too much, but i sure love to bake! which is so true- i love baking! i don't do the fancy stuff, but i always have to double (or even quadruple!) a recipe, just for my fam...seriously the treats go in a second...i kinda feel like the guys expect every meal to be 3 delicious exotic courses- something i'm definitely not used to! my husband will just fill up on cookies and cakes and mac and cheese 🙂

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: April 10, 2014, 11:43 PM

i also just don't understand how ppl putter around the kitchen adding random things into their food "oh i wonder what'll happen if i add this? why don't i try some of this to give it some oomph?"
something i can only hope one day to b able to do!

dschecht13

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: April 11, 2014, 2:24 AM

Hey Chaykie,
So I love to cook and even offer cooking lessons to people like you. But on the other hand I am not much of a baker. For me baking is tedious, have to follow the recipe exactly can't play around with it. As for the spices a lot of times its just knowing what goes with what. Italian spices like basil, oregano, parsley go with pasta. Mayo and mustard lemon juice( instead of oil) and spices make a great creamy salad dressing. Etc. if your ever in Israel send me a message.

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: April 11, 2014, 8:40 AM

i dunno when that'll be, but i'll keep ur offer in mind, thanks! i think i enjoy baking cuz its following recipes exactly. i'm the type of person that needs to be told exactly what u want from me so i can get it done exactly right. altho, you could do it with cooking too i guess.

ER

Dater

Send Message
on: April 13, 2014, 3:00 PM

Cooking is an art, baking is a science!

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: April 13, 2014, 8:09 PM

good point ER. i was never that great at art... but i think these days baking is very art involved also, i guess there's just a science to the art too, making it much easier for us specific and clear direction needers...

2funny

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: May 29, 2014, 9:26 PM

Oh man. I think it is a big problem that we dont know how to cook. You really shouldnt think that you need to be a chef the first time you enter the kitchen and feel intimidated. Start now and practice using the spices and pots and pans.

I used to think that i also can't cook. then i started working at a preschool where the kids have to bring their own lunches and i was shocked by the type of food the parents provide {not cook} for their kids. Literally everything they brought was just thrown of the store shelf in to their lunchbox. It definitly made me feel better to know i wasnt so bad afterall 😉

Some examples that they had were applesauce, yogurt, cheesesticks, chummus and crackers, raw vegetables, and mac and cheese every day. or pizza/hotdogs because that is the only thing they like to eat...These foods are okay as a snack or something to eat after they are done with lunch and they are still hungry but if this is the only thing they are eating then their parents are setting up their kids in a big problem for the future.
I mean, c'mon its not like these 2 year olds have to be on a diet just because the school policy is healthful foods only.
It's not so hard to boil some vegetables so they can eat it a little easier. Or bake some salmon, cook them some rice mixed with vegetables and fish, make a vegable soufle, (look up fritata, so yummy).
Parents are not providing their kids with enough vegetables and friut and these kids go so unnourished. they dont know what real food is! Sometimes i feel like cooking them something for lunch so i can feel the satisfaction that something good is going in their bodies helping them grow and get smart.
Cooking is not something that we just pick up the second we get married and start having kids. Who is going to provide the nourishment you and your family will need if not for you? You as a mother have a responsibility to give the best for your children. What im saying shouldnt be looked at negativly. Im not saying that you should become a slave to your kitchen and make sure you provide fancy three course meals but I plead with anyone reading this that please, pick up some essential skills so you could do one of the most important tasks we have as Jewish mothers.
And if your mother is constantly kicking you out of the kitchen because only she can do it better or whatever, tell her " Ma, if you want to see me and my future husband happily married I need to learn from the best cook in this house" 🙂

Okay future wives and mothers, this is the end of my rant. Now back to our devices. lol 🙂

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: June 2, 2014, 6:01 PM

i made potato kugel for shabbos!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now i feel like a big girl 🙂

bibliophil-
e02

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: June 3, 2014, 4:41 AM

2funny I think you are being a little over dramatic here...first of all, the list of foods that you said you see in your preschoolers' lunches sounds pretty healthy to me. Yogurt for calcium, chummus for protein, and raw vegetables-- what's wrong with that? Also, incidentally, a lot of toddlers are picky eaters and probably will refuse to eat many of the things you suggested their mothers cook for them.

Also, in general, cooking is a great skill to have but I fail to see the justification for a desperate plea for single girls to get in the kitchen. Plenty of married women hate cooking and they manage just fine with simple foods or with prepared food from the kosher market. And some of my friends' husbands have the weirdest palates-- it's possible that you might have to learn to cook all over again when you get married because your husband likes things you don't know how to make!

Whenever it happens for you (b'mheirah) Hashem will help you figure it out. In the meantime, no need to panic.

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: June 3, 2014, 9:33 AM

bibliophile, thanks for the encouragement! so true what you said, I didn't think about it that way.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.096 seconds.