Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Weight gain
basmelech

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post Weight gain
on: May 26, 2013, 1:22 AM

Gaining so much weight lately and being pressured to lose it cause of "shidduchim" Any ideas to stop eating so much (besides diet and exercise 😉 )?

smile19

Dater

Send Message
Post Re: Weight gain
on: May 26, 2013, 3:25 AM

Oky I totally understand u cuz I had same issue I actly still hav it but on a major diet ok... B4 u eat a cookie or cake or enything in healthy right a pg of y u wnt eat it the pros and cons like I love thm........they wil mk me unhealthy..... My aunt gave this suggestion by the time u get ur pen and paper u think its x worth it

TryToDoWha-
tsRight

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: May 26, 2013, 4:01 AM

Eat only on small plates. Fill it up once, then don't refill. You have to have self-control with that.
I always say, it's the quantity more than the quality. (But it is both.)
Write a list of foods that are healthy to eat every day but allow yourself one treat twice a week. It could be anything you want just control the amount of it you eat. If you want, for example, a piece of cake then cut yourself one piece and make sure you put away the cake before you start eating your piece.
Don't eat after dinner and try to leave 3 hours before bedtime without anything (but you can drink).
Eat one portion size of whatever protein/starch or whatever your main food is and then wait twenty minutes and see if you're hungry. If you are still hungry, then you can eat a small amount of something else.
The goal is to be full, not stuffed. Think about that while you're eating.
Try to chew slowly and prolong the time you eat your meal.
Sit down when eating.
Drink a tall glass of water five minutes before you start eating.
Try to drink at least 5 cups of water a day. (They say 8, but no one is going to do that so I'm giving an easier number.)
Have 2 snacks a day and make them about half the amount (or calories) of a regular-sized meal. (Not shabbos.)

Try to keep a diary for ONE week of everything you ate and the times and reflect at the end of the week. It will make you more conscious of what, and how much you eat. Hopefully by the end of the week you will continue. It will help you see that what you eat is permanent. You know the expression "a minute on the lips, forever on the hips?" It's easy to eat something fattening and forget about it. This will make you see what you ate and it will cause you to think before you eat and will help you control the portion and quality of what you put in your mouth.

Eat a vegetable with each meal. Fill up half your plate with vegetables.
Never eat from something that has several portion sizes. Example, a large bag of pretzels. Always put some on a plate or in a bowl and then put the bag away. Then you can sit down and eat it.
Once you start controlling portion size your stomach will shrink and it will be much easier for you to keep at it. You have to be prepared to be hungry for the first few days after you start.
Weigh yourself once every two weeks.
If you see that you lost weight, keep up with your good new habits or you might gain weight back.
DON'T starve yourself.
Set yourself a realistic goal. When you've reached it then give yourself a big non-food reward.

What do you think?
Tell me if you did any of this and how it worked for you.
Good Luck!! 🙂

basmelech

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: May 26, 2013, 9:42 PM

Good idea smile19! Thanks ttdwr! Such great ideas! Will try my best to follow and iy"H will let you know how it goes! 😀
P.S. Are you a nutritionist? Cause those ideas are fantastic!!

TryToDoWha-
tsRight

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: May 27, 2013, 10:50 AM

Thanks!!! 😀 No just had a big interest in dieting when I was in my teens... (I was never fat though, B"H.) 😉 They're tried and true methods.
Good Luck! keep me posted!

Princess-
Lea

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: May 28, 2013, 11:16 AM

To add to TryToDo's great suggestions:

1. Soup, specifically homemade veggie soup. It will keep you fuller, longer, and veggies are necessary for weight management.

2. The biggest meal of the day should be lunch, and try to skimp when it comes to supper. Personally, small suppers make all the difference.

3. Focus on meals, and try to avoid snacking.

4. Veggies can be limitless, but try to monitor/measure grains. Measure cereal, pasta, rice . . . that is where the calories are, plus wheat doesn't necessarily do the job to keep one full, funnily enough. And those grains, whenever eaten, should be whole (no white flour!)

5. It's all about training the palate; I try to only have sugar/cake on Shabbos, and while the first few days are hard, I just don't crave it anymore the way I used to. Roasted veggies can be so sweet that they are like candy.

6. Nothing will happen overnight, but in a short time there will be results, but one has to be willing to stick out that first week or two to acclimate to the new lifestyle. Just hang on!

basmelech

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: May 28, 2013, 2:24 PM

Thanks PrincessLea! 😀 Great ideas! 1. i try to do already and it really does keep me full! 2.Problem though with small suppers is that i get hungry and then nosh at night 😉 5. "Roasted veggies can be so sweet that they are like candy" great idea can you tell me how to roast them? 6. True! thanks so much for the encouragement!! 🙂

Princess-
Lea

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: May 29, 2013, 11:41 AM

There are two ways, both easy, but one way is much faster.

1) Chop up veggies, carrots, sweet potato, zucchini, onions, mushrooms; toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper; place on parchment paper on cookie sheet in 375-400 degree oven for an hour or so.

2) Have a pan with a tight-fitting lid? Warm up some olive oil, add chopped vegetables, dust salt and pepper on top, then close the lid over a low to medium flame. Shake the pan every once in a while so the veggies don't stick. They should be ready in 10-15 minutes. Try Brussels sprouts this way; absolutely delish!

One way to ensure no noshing: Go to sleep! Sleep is VERY important to maintain weight, because those who are sleep-deprived eat bad foods, studies have shown.

basmelech

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: May 29, 2013, 2:01 PM

Thanks princesslea! 🙂

TryToDoWha-
tsRight

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: May 29, 2013, 2:29 PM

Sleep is VERY important to maintain weight, because those who are sleep-deprived eat bad foods, studies have shown.

I never knew that. Thanks for posting it!!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.105 seconds.