Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: smartphones
sem613

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post smartphones
on: January 7, 2014, 7:58 PM

So I was offered a smartphone when I came back from seminary, and in the height of that inspiration said no.
Now I'm seeing how useful they are, but also how dangerous they are, and can't decide if its worth it.
Especially since I was just offered my father's old smartphone as he is replacing it.

I feel so hypocritical getting a smartphone as I work on myself and the huge amount of time I spend wasting online. but its so useful. any brilliant insights?

DeepThinke-
r

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Re: smartphones
on: January 8, 2014, 9:29 AM

there are ways to block the internet on a smart phone and keep what you need such as gmail or a specific app that you want....just go to one of the tag stores....it really is useful so if you can block the internet than its ok and you wont spend all day surfing...but for those of you who have plain old phones thumbs up! i had a plain fone till recently when we ended my plan and needed a new one...and the cheapest way for me to go was a smart phone although i didnt esspecially want it.,,,,

sem613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: January 8, 2014, 12:47 PM

so part of the problem here is that my phone is starting to not function so well, and I can't get a new phone yet (need to wait until the summer), so the question is do I take this smartphone for the next 6 months or continue with my dying phone

OTM

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: January 8, 2014, 3:11 PM

Lets rephrase that sem613. If you take the smartphone now it'll probably be more than for just these 6 months. Not so easy to switch back to a regular "old-fashioned" phone. However, as DeepThinker mentioned, if you take your phone to Tag and put a filter on it like I did, you're pretty much ok. Unless you're the type of kid that likes to try hacking codes.... 😉

sem613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: January 8, 2014, 3:13 PM

I am going to end up with a smartphone over the summer whether I want to or not, because of hte same problem deepthinker had- there are no non-smartphones at normal prices anymore. the plain phone i have now was more expensive than it should have been and after just a year wasn't working well.
the question is should I give in and take this one now or hold out for as long as possible

howmuchlon-
ger

Dater

Send Message
on: January 8, 2014, 6:22 PM

Smartphones have basically taken over the world. If you have one but don't want the disadvantages you can either disable the data or you can get a plan that has little or limited data. Many plans have unlimited or alot but if you don't you probably will limit yourself to not using it much because of your bill. ( an outside way of enforcing so you don't have to fight your yetzer hara 😉

As someone who has ( and uses) a smartphone i will say that there are some people who mange to use it and not abuse it.....

ER

Dater

Send Message
on: January 11, 2014, 9:09 PM

This is my first post! Actually the first time I've logged in to the site.

If you really want, you can still get a boring phone. I bought mine on eBay. I do have some Internet on my phone plan, but my phone isn't that fun to use so it's not a temptation for me. But I can check my email or directions if I really need to. I like having a boring phone, it makes me feel rebellious. 😉

Also, this a great article on how to not be a slave to your iPhone:
http://lifehacker.com/how-i-turned-my-iphone-into-a-simple-distraction-free-1175739059

Balabusta

Dater

Send Message
on: January 12, 2014, 12:22 AM

Kol hakovod to you that your even asking...
Ill tell you what happened with me, I got a smart phone, also as an upgrade and it just seemed so practical. Of course i got a filter on it and yes, It really was practical. But it wasnt as great as they make it out to be. Even with a filter, I still wasted a lot of time on my phone with all the time saving apps!!!
This summer my phone broke and i went right back to my "cosmo". Its way easier to use, the battery lasts a whole lot longer, I get my emails to my phone, and im not really missing all the "convenient" apps... Im not saying it was so easy and i did take time to get used to again but I really think it was the best decision I made.
Good luck!!!

caramel

Dater

Send Message
on: January 12, 2014, 10:46 AM

I was able to disable the internet on my iphone. go to settings, then general, then restrictions, then have someone else enter a password. then you can disable safari, email accounts, apps, ability to add apps - whatever you want.
I disabled email, safari, and adding apps. I kept the useful apps like maps, weather, etc. - apps that i don't waste time on...

iThink

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: January 20, 2014, 11:24 AM

sem613

I feel that since smartphones are here to stay and it's just a matter of time before regular phones are no longer available, it's important for you to figure out how you'll deal with it. Whether or not to put it off for another six months is another question. But in any case, you won't be able to avoid it much longer, and you need to find a way to make it conform to your standards in halacha/hashkafa.

Good luck.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.096 seconds.