Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kiruv Literature Ideas/Suggestions
TryToDoWha-
tsRight

Dating Pro

Send Message
Post Kiruv Literature Ideas/Suggestions
on: July 11, 2013, 3:59 AM

Hey everyone, so I met someone in the gym that I go to who works behind the desk, and I found out she's Jewish, but from a secular background. She's in her early twenties.
So, I had some enlightening and philosophical conversations with her, and she is, as she put it, "very spiritual," and I think searching for meaning. She is vegen, feministic, and non-judgmental of everyone or as some might put it, slightly liberal (but not in a bad way). She is also interested in and open to discovering Judaism.
I brought her some books to read. I gave her "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt," "Outside, Inside (By Gila Manolson)," and "The Magic Touch (ibid)." She was very interested in Outside, Inside.
I'm trying to think/find other books that would be good to give her (or that I could read myself and discuss with her). I'm looking for something that is interesting, understandable to a secular person, compelling, non-confrontational, and verifiable - i.e. something that would make sense to a skeptical (I'm not saying she is, just anyone who wasn't raised frum might be) person. I don't want any books that are fluffy/lofty.
I don't want her to feel like I'm just trying to make her become frum or brainwash her. I want her to become religious because she sees the beauty and truth in it.

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it! (And it's a big mitzva!) Thanks!! 🙂 🙂

iThink

Dating Pro

Send Message
Post Re: Kiruv Literature Ideas/Suggestions
on: July 11, 2013, 9:44 AM

If she's interested in learning more about Judaism, I recommend David Baum's "The Non-Orthodox Jew's Guide to Orthodox Jews." It covers all the heavy stuff in a straightforward, articulate and enjoyable read.

Gila Manolson's other two books are excellent as well.

iThink

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 11, 2013, 9:45 AM

-

patcha

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 11, 2013, 2:11 PM

Through the eye of the needle, by Aish, is a great book.

But, anything can be argued with. You don't need to have the answers. Perhaps you can refer her to a service like Partners in Torah.

TryToDoWha-
tsRight

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 11, 2013, 7:35 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, iThink and patcha! I will definitely check into them. And referring her to Partners in Torah is a great idea!! thanks guys!! 🙂

shaynapuni-
m

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 11, 2013, 8:41 PM

I've never read them but I have heard that Lawrence Keleman's books "Permission to Receive" and "Permission to Believe" are very good, just dont know if they are for Kiruv or more to strengthen someone's emunah..

shaynapuni-
m

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 11, 2013, 8:42 PM

just found this list:

http://www.kiruv.com/articles/books/

hope it helps

iThink

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 11, 2013, 8:48 PM

Actually, now that you mention it Permission to Believe is excellent for kiruv! Definitely worth considering.

TryToDoWha-
tsRight

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: July 11, 2013, 8:58 PM

I did hear about Permission to Believe! (a long time ago...) I think I will try to get a hold of a copy. 🙂 I'm going to check out that list soon, shaynapunim! I just have to go somewhere soon and I want to give it my full attention! thanks!! 🙂

shaynapuni-
m

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 11, 2013, 11:16 PM

my pleasure!! 😀 i should probably check out the list myself ;)... it looks really comprehensive and I agree i would need to really give it my full attention too

bibliophil-
e02

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: November 24, 2013, 2:36 PM

Try Rebbetzin Jungreis's book The Committed Life (or really any of her books for that matter)

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.083 seconds.