Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hashkafa In Bais Yaakovs
mrswannabe

Dater

Send Message
Post Hashkafa In Bais Yaakovs
on: August 13, 2013, 10:17 PM

So, I recently got a ride somewhere with an older man and he was asking me if I the Bais Yaakov I went to taught Hashkafa, and what type of Hashkafa,, and did they encourage us to ask questions .... He got me thinking and I was wondering what all of your opinions are about this.
Do you think you were taught enough Hashkafa in school? Do you think questions were discouraged?
Looking forward to chatting it out with all of you!!

in the gap

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Re: Hashkafa In Bais Yaakovs
on: August 13, 2013, 10:37 PM

I personally wasn't exposed to too much Hashkafa, but rather what I learnt inside was what brought out the strong Hashkafos that I had.Then, I went to Sem and had mostly Hashkafa that was given to us on a silver platter. I am not sure which is better, I think I gained in different ways from each one, but whichever way it came I believe that whatever it is, it is enough since it is all up to us to really feel it. As one teacher told me one day, she said that girls always want hashkafa-outlook, but really what we need is "in-look" to look in to ourselves. You just need something to work off of, but that can be anything as small reading a pasuk from tanach with concentration.
In terms of questions I think that some schools really don't allow them and it can turn off those that are truly struggling with something, but want to feel it. I remember that in Sem there was a girl who argued back and forth with a teacher for a month until she felt comfortable with the proper hashkafos. This is the way that it is supposed to be!

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: August 13, 2013, 10:57 PM

in my high school and sem we were definitely encouraged to ask questions and there was lots of hashkafa going around. i really loved it. i'm not that academic and i really thrive on hashkafa stuff πŸ™‚

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: August 13, 2013, 11:10 PM

I think a lot of Bais Yaakovs go for that balance of, among other subjects, basic Hebrew and Lashon Hakodesh/Tanach reading, writing, understanding, speaking skills, being able to understand and learn Tanach and its mefarshim, halacha, and hashkafa. I think skills learning ends up the heavier end, because school is about giving you the fundamental elements for you to be able to build on. That being said, I think the best teachers I ever had were the ones who were able to teach both skills and hashkafa at the same time. We learned hashkafa through the lens of Chumash or Navi. Isn't that what it's really all about? ("Nevuah sh'hutzricha l'doros"??) Perhaps nowadays it would be prudent for schools to teach more hashkafa, because we're fighting against a more intense outside influence. Afterall, chasidus was invented to combat secularism, right? Chasidus differs from misnagdus in that it isn't just straight Torah; it's about connecting to our neshama (our guf half rallies for more attention because of all the glittery distractions nowadays).

In terms of questions being discouraged, I think that most good teachers will not discourage questions. It's an important part of the learning process. Thinking for onesself, being an informed consumer, and really understanding not just spit-back are crucial.

mrswannabe

Dater

Send Message
on: August 14, 2013, 9:26 AM

Wow, it's great to hear everyone's take on this. I guess intellectually I think that it's very important to discuss Hashkafa in school and like thinking bygirl said, we probably do need it a lot more today. But my problem is that I always got so nervous from those girls who would bring up Hashkafa questions here and there. You know, like you're in the middle of trying to understand how the Ramban connects the inyanim of the Parsha, and there she is, raising her hand and asking some question about how if we really had Emuna in Hashem, we wouldn't need to hear the smichos of the inyanim.....or something like that. NO? Don't you all know the type? Maybe I was always judging them and really I should've been as strong willed about seeking out the truth?

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: August 14, 2013, 5:28 PM

Quote from mrswannabe on August 14, 2013, 9:26 AM
Wow, it's great to hear everyone's take on this. I guess intellectually I think that it's very important to discuss Hashkafa in school and like thinking bygirl said, we probably do need it a lot more today. But my problem is that I always got so nervous from those girls who would bring up Hashkafa questions here and there. You know, like you're in the middle of trying to understand how the Ramban connects the inyanim of the Parsha, and there she is, raising her hand and asking some question about how if we really had Emuna in Hashem, we wouldn't need to hear the smichos of the inyanim.....or something like that. NO? Don't you all know the type? Maybe I was always judging them and really I should've been as strong willed about seeking out the truth?

MWB- I once heard something really interesting that pertains to that point. Generally people fall into 3 categories: Avrahams, Yitzchaks, and Yaakovs. Avrahams' mahus is chessed. These type of people are always thinking about others, they're people persons, and they always want to do for others. Yitzchak's are yaarei shamyim and are bent on keeping halacha to the T. The third are truth-seekers. They always want to find the emes. Obviously not every person can fit into one clear-cut distinction, but perhaps you're more of an Avraham or Yitzchak and this girl is a Yaakov.

Also, slightly off topic, what was the girl really asking? It's almost like she's saying that we shouldn't ask questions and we just need to "believe." Yiddishkeit doesn't espouse blind faith. Questions are encouraged, at least that's how I was raised.

in the gap

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 14, 2013, 8:04 PM

Quote from thinkingBYgirl on August 14, 2013, 5:28 PM

MWB- I once heard something really interesting that pertains to that point. Generally people fall into 3 categories: Avrahams, Yitzchaks, and Yaakovs. Avrahams' mahus is chessed. These type of people are always thinking about others, they're people persons, and they always want to do for others. Yitzchak's are yaarei shamyim and are bent on keeping halacha to the T. The third are truth-seekers. They always want to find the emes. Obviously not every person can fit into one clear-cut distinction, but perhaps you're more of an Avraham or Yitzchak and this girl is a Yaakov.

Also, slightly off topic, what was the girl really asking? It's almost like she's saying that we shouldn't ask questions and we just need to "believe." Yiddishkeit doesn't espouse blind faith. Questions are encouraged, at least that's how I was raised.

I agree with you, but it is often hard to know who is a yaakov and who just wants to waste class time. I know that one of my sisters said that her class would ask Hashkafa questions so as to waste class time or to see the teachers' reactions. There are girls who ask so that they can get kicked out of class.

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: August 14, 2013, 8:43 PM

ITG- That's definitely true. A lot of girls will just ask questions to waste class time/make sure the teacher can't cover material so there will be less on the test/they have to take less notes. (For that reason I think, I once had a teacher who made us responsible for things we talked about during tangent discussions. She put questions about random stuff on the test. Don't ask me how she remembered everything.) On the other hand though, I remember girls falling asleep during class and when one girl raises her hand to ask a question to liven things up, everyone all of a sudden wakes up and puts in their two sense to keep the discussion going. I guess hashkafa discussions seem way more relevant. It might be about wasting class time, but it's also about talking about what is relevant to me here and now.

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: August 14, 2013, 9:07 PM

Besides what a few of you said about needing hashkafa more today- think about it. Which do you remember most from school- details of every single thing you learned, or lessons that came out of what you learned? for me personally, i barely remember details, but I remember many many lessons Baruch Hashem. I think most girls are like that.

PurplePrin-
cess

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 3:32 PM

I think the hashkafa in the Bais Yaakov system is corrupt in some ways. They preach nonstop about how the only kind of husband worth having is one who learns now and will learn for years to come. Fact is, many boys are NOT interested. So you have a surplus of girls who want ONLY learners and a small minority of boys who fill that criteria. Shidduch crisis is born. They didn't have this so much in the olden days when people chose spouses with good middos and character, not based on a profession called learning (which is just a title for so many men). I am married now and my husband and I always try to think of shidduchim for our friends, but it doesn't work. Why? My single classmates and friends all NEED learners (you wish! they just say that to sound good on the resume and in the eyes of shadchanim, but they could never live such a lifestyle) and my husband's friends are all realistic working boys (23-30 yr olds). So nothing ever works out because she needs a learner. And where do the girls get these ideas? NOT from their parents, I can tell you that. It's from the school system and the seminaries. The kids I know who didn't go to seminary made the best choice: work, no brainwashing, get married happily. And what do the girls do who DON'T want learners? They're outcasts, shunned, labeled. It's a pity.

life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 3:47 PM

I went to a different elementary, high school, and seminary and I NEVER had a teacher who said "the only kind of husband worth having is one who learns now and will learn for years to come". They always said everyone has to know what they can do, every boy (and girl) has a tachlis, and has to do what is appropriate for them. And all three schools were regular Brooklyn Bais Yaakov.

PurplePrin-
cess

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 3:49 PM

Quote from life123 on August 15, 2013, 3:47 PM
I went to a different elementary, high school, and seminary and I NEVER had a teacher who said "the only kind of husband worth having is one who learns now and will learn for years to come". They always said everyone has to know what they can do, every boy (and girl) has a tachlis, and has to do what is appropriate for them.

The NORMAL teachers were that way in my school too, but they made it sound like a working husband was a b'dieved choice. And btw, teachers never outright said comments like what you quoted from me, but they infused that theme into everything they lectured about.

life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 3:56 PM

I can only think of one teacher who really pushed kollel - but she prefaced her speeches with "I KNOW this is not for everyone" and she herself was supporting a husband and large family still after 20 years... everyone else was big on pushing kovei itim, that's it. I think, though, that the girls who don't want kollel pick up on every nuance and remember it, and end up feeling that they have to do kollel, though really I don't think any of my friends would think badly of someone who doesn't want kollel. We are very careful not to make assumptions and ask people what they are looking for, and then think who we know for them whether they want learning or working or half and half.

Avigail

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 4:02 PM

Quote from PurplePrincess on August 15, 2013, 3:32 PM
I am married now and my husband and I always try to think of shidduchim for our friends, but it doesn't work. Why? My single classmates and friends all NEED learners (you wish! they just say that to sound good on the resume and in the eyes of shadchanim, but they could never live such a lifestyle) and my husband's friends are all realistic working boys (23-30 yr olds).

Wow! Would you meet girls from this site who are looking for earner/learners?

PurplePrin-
cess

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 4:06 PM

My husband and I are chassidish (middle of the road) so the boys we know are basically that type. I would love to make a shidduch!

in the gap

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 7:56 PM

Quote from PurplePrincess on August 15, 2013, 4:06 PM
My husband and I

Can i ask what a married is doing in here? πŸ˜€

PurplePrin-
cess

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 9:00 PM

Does everyone on here stay single forever?!

dazzleme21

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 11:52 PM

chas veshalom!! you can help other people with advice now that your married so you are definatly welcome to the site even as a married!! πŸ˜€ purpleprincess

dazzleme21

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 11:52 PM

or if you just want to enjoy what the site has to offer

PurplePrin-
cess

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 11:56 PM

Thanks, dazzleme21! I do enjoy the site very much. My favorite area's the Ongoing Story, though I don't have too much to offer there.

dazzleme21

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 16, 2013, 12:29 AM

ur welcome! πŸ™‚ why not? you can totally add to the story ! I also luv that part of the website!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.182 seconds.