Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Eye make up
Cherry

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Eye make up
on: February 22, 2013, 1:22 AM

Since I was 17 before I would walk out of the house I would make sure I'm looking perfect. It didn't start out because I was in shidduchim. Just bec thts the way I wanted to be.
I know it's not a bad thing. But I wish I could just chill about the way I dress. Lately I've been thinking that I'm dressing way too attracting than attractive. For example my eye make up. Is it normal to wear eye make up everyday??? Like I don't overdose it or anything. I've just noticed more and more pple Hve been staring at me. I dn't know what I'm doing wrong and I dn't know Wht I'm doing too right;) I dn't want to be shabbily dressed and I dn't want to walk around with no make up. But I can't stand being stared at...

iThink

Dating Pro

Send Message
Post Re: Eye make up
on: February 22, 2013, 11:56 AM

Plenty of people wear eye makeup every day( myself included) and there are plenty others who wear it only for special occassions. There's nothing wrong either way.

Princess-
Lea

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: February 22, 2013, 1:18 PM

You are making the assumption that people are staring at you because of eye makeup. A few options:

1) You are imagining it.

2) Wear sunglasses.

3) They are actually looking at the leftover bit of breakfast on the corner of your mouth, which is usually my reaction if I think someone is looking at me.

I don't think there are established rules for "right" and "wrong" eye makeup. I believe this is something that falls under only your jurisdiction. Chill.

InShidduch-
imFollower

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: February 22, 2013, 2:18 PM

cherry- i definitely understand you because i sort of have the same issue. i LOVE being put together, and dressing up and making sure everything is perfect. but over the years, ive learned that you can dress down and look beautiful too. eye makeup is my issue as well. BH and bli ayin hara, i have beautiful eyes, which people always commented on, even before i started wearing makeup at the end of high school. when i started, i was all excited to beautify them even more, and started wearing deep purple and green shadows that complemented my eyes perfectly. when i came home from seminary, i was still doing the same, but about a year and a half later, i realized that it was really just too much, and thats not how i wanted to present myself. so i toned down to nice shades of pink, with a highlight of purple or green on the edge, just because i couldnt give up the color yet... but the comments kept coming, from everywhere, especially the places i didnt want it from. i realized that this was still too much... at that point, i tried changing to shades of brown, with a bit of color and that helped a little bit, but then , another 2 years later, i realized that was still too much... i started sticking to just my one shade of pink. now you would think, whats wrong with pink? its one of the most neutral colors out there! i cant possibly go wrong. but then again, it wasnt the color, rather the shade, and it just made my eyes look larger and more beautiful...now, another few years down, i finally realized that these shadows are just not for me, and i just went out and bought a peach palette. it doesnt show up so much, and isnt so visible, but it gives a nice shine and a smooth look. i also think it looks natural and pretty and im so happy with it. so now, on shabbos, i wear the full palette, but during the week, i wear just the base color. it was so hard for me, but i am so happy im up to that. yes, eye makeup is a big thing, if you look in the navi yeshaya, he criticizes the woman of bnei yisrael for wearing eye makeup directly. the posuk says, ויאמר ה יען כי גבהו בנות ציון ותלכנה נטיות גרון ומשקרות עינים and rashi there says צובעות עיניהם בסקרא ובכחול, meaning they colored their eyes with blue and red shadows. this is a big place to watch yourself, and if you feel you are being stared at too much because of it, you dont have to keep away from it all together, but maybe find more natural shades. the meforshim say it not only refers to blue and red shadows, but to any shadows that dont look natural. thats where i realized what i was doing wrong. its not so much that the pink was flashy, rather it didnt look natural on me. it looked too nice.
Hatzlacha rabba!

inshidduch-
im613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: February 22, 2013, 6:13 PM

Quote from InShidduchimFollower on February 22, 2013, 2:18 PM
cherry- i definitely understand you because i sort of have the same issue. i LOVE being put together, and dressing up and making sure everything is perfect. but over the years, ive learned that you can dress down and look beautiful too. eye makeup is my issue as well. BH and bli ayin hara, i have beautiful eyes, which people always commented on, even before i started wearing makeup at the end of high school. when i started, i was all excited to beautify them even more, and started wearing deep purple and green shadows that complemented my eyes perfectly. when i came home from seminary, i was still doing the same, but about a year and a half later, i realized that it was really just too much, and thats not how i wanted to present myself. so i toned down to nice shades of pink, with a highlight of purple or green on the edge, just because i couldnt give up the color yet... but the comments kept coming, from everywhere, especially the places i didnt want it from. i realized that this was still too much... at that point, i tried changing to shades of brown, with a bit of color and that helped a little bit, but then , another 2 years later, i realized that was still too much... i started sticking to just my one shade of pink. now you would think, whats wrong with pink? its one of the most neutral colors out there! i cant possibly go wrong. but then again, it wasnt the color, rather the shade, and it just made my eyes look larger and more beautiful...now, another few years down, i finally realized that these shadows are just not for me, and i just went out and bought a peach palette. it doesnt show up so much, and isnt so visible, but it gives a nice shine and a smooth look. i also think it looks natural and pretty and im so happy with it. so now, on shabbos, i wear the full palette, but during the week, i wear just the base color. it was so hard for me, but i am so happy im up to that. yes, eye makeup is a big thing, if you look in the navi yeshaya, he criticizes the woman of bnei yisrael for wearing eye makeup directly. the posuk says, ויאמר ה יען כי גבהו בנות ציון ותלכנה נטיות גרון ומשקרות עינים and rashi there says צובעות עיניהם בסקרא ובכחול, meaning they colored their eyes with blue and red shadows. this is a big place to watch yourself, and if you feel you are being stared at too much because of it, you dont have to keep away from it all together, but maybe find more natural shades. the meforshim say it not only refers to blue and red shadows, but to any shadows that dont look natural. thats where i realized what i was doing wrong. its not so much that the pink was flashy, rather it didnt look natural on me. it looked too nice.
Hatzlacha rabba!

WOW!
so impressive of you! it cudn't have been easy..wow!
and thanks for the possuk-it just shows that E'T can be found in the Torah! 🙂

bitochon25

Dater

Send Message
on: February 25, 2013, 8:47 PM

It's okay to wear eye makeup every day as long as you don't overdo it.

rosepetal5

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: May 26, 2013, 4:20 PM

There are ways to wear eye makeup without overdoing it. Don't wear too much eyeliner - you don't want to look like a raccoon! Maybe skip the mascara if you don't need it, and use a light hand when applying eye shadow. At least for a day look. Also, if you're going for a dramatic eye, keep the rest of your makeup simple. Don't do a dramatic eye and bright red lipstick. Have you tried lighter, more neutral colors?

basmelech

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: May 26, 2013, 9:34 PM

Cherry I think it might be something other than just the eyemakeup. How about the dress you mentioned it a few times... If your just wearing some regular eyemakeup then theres no reason for people to stare. What anyone really wants is for their husband iy"H to notice their beauty. Not some random crazy person in the street.. So try your best to look attractive and not attracting. 🙂

TryToDoWha-
tsRight

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: May 27, 2013, 7:35 PM

Stand in front of the mirror and close your eyes. When you open them, notice which point of your body your eyes first went to. If it was to something that should not be accentuated, then you know that area is too tight.
(Gila Manolson - I think Outside/Inside)

basmelech

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: May 27, 2013, 8:51 PM

That's a great tip ttdwr! 🙂

TryToDoWha-
tsRight

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: May 27, 2013, 8:56 PM

thanks!! can't take credit for it tho!! 🙂

basmelech

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: May 27, 2013, 9:14 PM

😉

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.121 seconds.