Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Acapella music
laykay

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Acapella music
on: June 30, 2013, 4:38 PM

Anyone know the deal with acapella!?? I've been hearing that it's assur but I know everybody listens to it. Did anyone ever ask a Rov or read the Halacha somewhere it can qoute a specific gadol either way???

Bracha

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Re: Acapella music
on: June 30, 2013, 8:46 PM

I think it makes a difference if they are trying to imitate real music or if it's just harmony. Either way I think the Poskim who Assur it it's for more for Hashkafic reasons then Halachik.
Does anyone else have anything to add?

patcha

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: June 30, 2013, 9:00 PM

I like aka pella even though it's probably assur. But my father says I can listen to it. I get starved for music after a while.

So my compromise is that I listen to it until the 9 days. Then I try to only listen to sad songs. Works for me. πŸ™‚

laykay

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: June 30, 2013, 9:45 PM

So is it like a grey area? Did anyone ever hear a specific psak by a renound gadol or rav? What about specifically for driving??

Gayil

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: June 30, 2013, 10:46 PM

I heard a few rabbis say that a person should not listen to akapella. One rabbi was speaking to a group of people who r considered traditional and they accepted it. its in a way trieng to find loop holes. I happen to LOVE music.&it is very hard for me without it, but sometimes we have to.do it even though it is hard.we are in this would to overcome challanges & grow. :):) πŸ™

inshidduch-
im613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: June 30, 2013, 11:42 PM

laykay: I just read in Rav Barclay's halacha sefer-Guidelines- that it is definitely assur to listen to akapella so yes, there is a source for it.

patcha

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: June 30, 2013, 11:44 PM

My father is a Rav. So there's a source that you CAN listen to it too.

inshidduch-
im613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: June 30, 2013, 11:53 PM

So basically it's a machlokes and everyone should ask their LOR

laykay

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 1, 2013, 12:14 PM

So I'm back to sqaure one... oh well . Thanks y'all anyways!

basmelech

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 1, 2013, 8:41 PM

Didnt hear anything specific from a psak halacha.
The three weeks is a time of mourning for our beis hamikdash that was destroyed. The point of not listening to music is because we are in aveilos. So any music that sounds like regular music sort of defeats the purpose if you know what I mean... Its like kosher lePesach pizza. So choose wisely. May we merit to see the Beis Hamikdash built speedily in our days! Then these days will be days of true rejoicing! πŸ˜€

basmelech

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 1, 2013, 8:44 PM

Quote from patcha on June 30, 2013, 11:44 PM
My father is a Rav. So there's a source that you CAN listen to it too.

Please give sources that we can look up on.

Bracha

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 1, 2013, 9:10 PM

It's hard to understand how anyone can say the tapes that have singers harmonizing each other are wrong but a Kumzits is fine????

basmelech

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 1, 2013, 9:46 PM

Quote from basmelech on July 1, 2013, 8:41 PM
So any music that sounds like regular music sort of defeats the purpose if you know what I mean... Its like kosher lePesach pizza. So choose wisely.:D

Choose wisely. singers harmonizing without the same effect that music produces is different ( not talking about acapela music ). But if it sounds like regular music? Why would it notbe assur? The point of not listening is being ignored. Aveilos means mourning. We are supposed to feel sad, not look for ways to forget about our πŸ™ sadness and mourning over the Beis Hamikdash.

laykay

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 1, 2013, 10:13 PM

It's true but there's Halacha and the spirit of the law. The question here is if anyone previously asked a rav on their own and can quote a psak Halacha! For example Miami boys and yeshiva boys choir both have acapella CDs they do not sound like real music and there is no actual music however it is more enjoyable than driving in silence. So the question is is it the music that's assur or is it enjoyment thats assur....

patcha

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: July 4, 2013, 3:53 PM

basmelech: I keep on forgetting to ask. But basically, I think the idea is that since it is not technically forbidden, we don't make things forbidden that aren't, like Adam and Chava. It becomes technically forbidden when you're violating the spirit of the mourning time. That would be the idea beyond the heter. I am sure there are many Rabbonim who disagree, but every person is different and if your Rav knows you, he will have a better idea what is needed in your case.

happy gal

Dater

Send Message
on: July 6, 2013, 3:50 PM

Has anyone heard the new AKA pella?

hannahr

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 7, 2013, 6:44 PM

1) There is nothing wrong with kosher lePesach pizza. I don't think it even compares to a capella music, unless they're both mutar. We don't have a halacha to deprive ourselves of specific types of food over Pesach- rather, we avoid foods made out of certain combinations of ingredients and also eat matza. If the food is kosher lePesach, what on earth would the problem be? I don't see any hashkafic issue with eating pizza on Pesach- it may not seem like a traditional Pesach if it's not what you're used to (it is what I'm used to, for the sake of a full disclosure), but Pesach has never been celebrated uniformly in one way all over the world anyway.
2) On the other hand, there is a potential hashkafic problem with music during sefira or the three weeks. Everyone pretty much made that same point above. It all depends on WHY we don't listen to music. If the reason we listen to music is because there is a rule that we can't listen to music that has this and this characteristic, then if a capella music does not have those characteristics it should be fine. If the issue is that it's antithetical to the time period (unlike Pesach pizza, where you achieve the spirit of Pesach by eating certain things and not abstaining categorically from others) as music is representative of joy and these are times of sadness, then a capella would probably be considered forbidden.
I start off not listening to a capella music. To be honest, during sefirah, if I get really desperate, I do start listening to it, but I do try to avoid it. I am part of the camp that thinks it's against the spirit of the time, but as my dad said that it's fine, I rely on that if my brain starts to echo emptily.

hello

Dater

Send Message
on: July 7, 2013, 7:36 PM

Quote from hannahr on July 7, 2013, 6:44 PM
if my brain starts to echo emptily.

hannahr, I love the way you put that!

hannahr

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 7, 2013, 10:59 PM

hello: Thanks!
This is one of those strange scenarios where it's actually EXACTLY like the metaphor or whatever. Like, right now, I've been humming all my favorite songs in my head for the past week and a half, but they're fading. I feel like I'm gonna crack, but I REALLY don't want to.
Help me, people!

Avigail

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 7, 2013, 11:05 PM

Quickly what's your phone number? and what song do you want me to sing πŸ˜›

hannahr

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: July 7, 2013, 11:28 PM

Awww... thanks πŸ™‚
My issue is that I'm a musician so I like instrumental music- so, f'rinstance, right now, Mozart's Marriage of Figaro is sort of limping through my head very falteringly.
BUT I'M GONNA GO CRAZY!
My issue then is that obviously a capella isn't exactly instrumental- kinda the point- so then I need the REALLY good stuff. Which is a) hard to find kosher (like, I've found some REALLY well done a capella versions of songs that I would NOT, under normal circumstances, listen to) and b) probably not in the spirit of the whole mourning period over the Bais HaMikdash.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.118 seconds.