Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Good Book
pray today

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post A Good Book
on: August 14, 2013, 8:45 PM

Looking for a really good book - I'm open to all suggestions please!

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post Re: A Good Book
on: August 14, 2013, 9:07 PM

What kind? Fiction or non-fiction? Jewish or secular?

Here're are two intellectually stimulating ones (non fiction):

Real Power Dr. D. Lieberman

The Choice to Be Rabbi J. Kagan

Jewish Fiction:

The Freedom to Be Chaya David

That's all I can think of right now. If you want to know what they're about let me know. I'd be happy to expound.

pray today

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 14, 2013, 11:05 PM

I'm looking for fiction, something to distract me for a bit. What's The Freedom to Be about? I think it sounds familiar.

thinkingBY-
girl

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: August 15, 2013, 1:37 AM

It's about two guys with different struggles and how they each deal with their difficulties and overcome their obstacles. It's written very well (for a Jewish novel) and it talks about real issues. (The publisher, Israel Bookshop, issued a 'recommended parental supervision/book may not be appropriate for children' type warning on it.) The book is nice and thick, over 650 pages, and it's a really good read.

And...you okay? Needing distraction... 😕

s.

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: September 11, 2013, 1:43 PM

A really good book that I've been recommending to everyone is "Escape from India"...its a crazy (true) story about this baal teshuva young israeli guy who takes a "one last" drug smuggling trip to India, totally rationalizes it b/c he is married and in debt and wants to cover his debt...basically he gets caught and spends over a year and a half in prison and ends up doing real teshuva and working on himself...the way he finally gets out is beyond miraculous, you have to read it to believe it..my principal from high school translated it into English (originally in hebrew) and while it does have action, it is written in such a clear, straightforward style as if he is talking to you right there. very funny and interesting!! (and this is coming from someone who really dislikes action-type books in general). Basically it is not your typical action book and has amazing lessons to be learnt regarding emunah and bitachon...!!

2funny

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: September 15, 2013, 10:28 AM

Jewish Fiction

"The Will" by Chaim Greenbaum
702 pages

Description:( From Artscroll.com)

A terrible crime was perpetrated in the Jewish ghetto of Rome some sixty years ago, and now it threatens the financial empire of the Lorenzini family. Jonathan Meislik, an ordinary Torah student from B’nei Brak, accidentally exposes the secret, and is drawn unwillingly into a whirlpool of conflicts. He finds himself opposed by powerful elements committed to hush this case at any price.

Itzik Peled accompanies a group of ailing children to a Dutch summer camp. He presents himself as a journalist, but he appears to be enmeshed in a case of espionage. Suspicions mount from day to day. Is he a traitor? What are his real intentions?

And in Israel, a pious family from Jerusalem endures threats and persecution over a cache of ancient documents. In a heart-pounding pursuit, crisscrossing continents and oceans from New York’s Little Italy through Amsterdam, Paris, and Luxembourg to the quiet streets ofBnei Brak, the tension escalates.

And abruptly, everything becomes startlingly clear . . .

The Will, a sophisticated, suspenseful novel, sweeps the reader through a dizzying plot, interwoven with powerful Jewish themes and messages of eternal significance

There are three stories interwoven in one. I could not put this book down for one minute. I spent many sleepless nights curious what was going to happen next. I highly recommend it as a way to get distracted because you are taken to another world in this book.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.069 seconds.