Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Poll: Jewish Books
life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
Post Poll: Jewish Books
on: November 27, 2013, 12:02 PM

Now please do't answer if you think Jewish books are garbage, but if you like them/some of them:

1) Which did you enjoy the most?
2) What topics in Jewish books do you like to read about?
3) What makes a Jewish book a good one?
4) What would you like to read about that isn't written yet?

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post Re: Poll: Jewish Books
on: November 28, 2013, 8:06 PM

well i definitely love meir uri gottesman's books the most!!!!! he's totally amazing and his books speak right to me...he wrote The Harp, Deep Blue, and The Morning Star. out of both of those i like The Morning Star the best. I love how it starts out in the present, abruptly stops to go back to the times of the Simchas Beis Hasho'eva- the drawing of the water for the para aduma, and then all ties back in in the present. He does all of this so descriptively, so beautifully, he really touches my heart in a really amazing way. As for topics- i like ones i can relate too, i kinda like sweet fantasies a lot. As for your last two questions...i don't rlly have an answer to those.

life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: November 29, 2013, 10:50 AM

I write and a publisher asked me to send them a novel... and I need ideas bec I don't like typical myself...

InShidduch-
imFollower

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: November 30, 2013, 7:07 PM

Did you read Sun Inside Rain by M. Bassara?
Its a FABULOUS novel that takes place in the time of apartheid in Africa. It is very well written, and descriptive. The author chose a pretty typical theme of "baalei teshuva learning in israel" but the story behind it is so atypical and so creative that the the topic at hand didnt matter at all. It is an excellent read.
I guess its not the topic that matters, but the way it is written and the story built around it.
Now as for future novels, it would be nice if people moved out into different time periods. I feel that Jewish authors are constantly focusing on the same old time periods and themes. (holocaust, spanish inquisition, and now contemporary issues: BTs, divorce, internet, OTD) I personally like historical literature. The Jews have been through so many countries and stories. How about something based on earlier times in America? There is so much history there, from the 13 colonies through the Great Depression....Or maybe even something else about Africa. Something to do with Jews and the Dutch settling in Johannesburg, the Cape of Good Hope. I feel like there are so many options that have been totally overlooked.

life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: November 30, 2013, 9:58 PM

The problem with the 13 colonies, etc is that Jews there often were less religious, and it is very hard to do research and make it realistic and still relevant. We like to read about Jews like ourselves in different times, but you can't have that if the Jews weren't living like us... There have been things done on great depression, early SAfrica etc (Etka Gittel Schwartz, Gita Gordon) but they tend to be about people going off the derech or coming back on.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.077 seconds.