Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Daas Torah
Shaindy

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post Daas Torah
on: May 18, 2013, 10:38 PM

I've been having a hard time recently with the concept of Daas Torah. Lets say you ask a Gadol or a Rav what to do in a specific circumstance and he tells you what he thinks, so that's Daas Torah right? Does that mean if you would have asked another Rav/Gadol they would have said the same thing? If they wouldn't say the same thing then are they both Daas Torah? I don't know how many of you read the Chinuch roundtable in the Yated but there are always many different opinions, are they all Daas Torah? What is Daas Torah??

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
Post Re: Daas Torah
on: May 18, 2013, 11:00 PM

I have a feeling that we are going to be talking past each other when I respond, but I will. I think that all of the answers would be daas torah.

Let me define what I think daas torah means. I use it to refer to two different things.

1. Hashkafa, by which I mean the question of how Hashem wants us to act in scenarios which are not strictly governed by any specific halacha. Daas torah is that the penumbras of the torah tell us how to act in these situations. But there can obviously be machlokes, just as there is with actual halacha.

2. Opinions about things which are not halacha or even hashkafa, but are informed by the ideas in the torah. This is not something which we are required to listen to. And there can obviously be disagreement also.

Shaindy

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: May 18, 2013, 11:09 PM

So is there anything wrong with getting a few opinions?

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: May 18, 2013, 11:20 PM

Quote from Shaindy on May 18, 2013, 11:09 PM
So is there anything wrong with getting a few opinions?

Well, if it is in category number 1, then yes. If in category number 2, then no.

Shaindy

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: May 18, 2013, 11:32 PM

That's what I don't understand.
If it's not a matter of Halacha why can't you ask two opinions???

InShidduch-
imFollower

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: May 19, 2013, 12:25 AM

Pirkei Avos says, Aseh l'cho rav; that would be in singular, not plural. Specifically because there may be conflicting opinions in daas torah, you must find yourself ONE rav that you follow by. Its also an issue of emunas chachomim. If you have emunas chachomim, you will trust your rav on all he says, but that is as long, and i repeat, as long as you are giving over the situation in full detail and very accurately. because it often comes time where people feel like the rav may have not done justice answering your question, giving you advice etc, but how could he have if you chose not to share certain details? it is very important for a rav to know EVERYTHING. ALL the details. and if he does, then yes, you trust him for everything. including category 1 and 2 (as mentioned above)

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: May 19, 2013, 12:26 AM

Quote from Shaindy on May 18, 2013, 11:32 PM
That's what I don't understand.
If it's not a matter of Halacha why can't you ask two opinions???

Because hashkafa also is matters of obligation.

iThink

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: May 19, 2013, 9:05 PM

“What is Daas Torah?”

I believe Daas Torah refers to the Torah’s view on a given issue. I also believe that the Torah has a view on every issue, whether it is a matter of halacha, hashkafa, chinuch, career, relationships, etc.

“Let’s say you ask a Gadol or a Rav…so that’s Daas Torah right?”

Here’s what I look for when seeking out someone who has Daas Torah: Someone who has spent years completely immersed in learning, completely detached from gashmiyus and secular influences, to the point where they breathe Torah 24/7. Their vision is pure and their sole motive is ratzon Hashem. They are an expert in mussar and hashkafa. They are so absorbed in Torah, that their daas is Daas Torah.

“Does that mean if you would have asked another Rav/Gadol they would have said the same thing?”

If you are lucky enough to have someone who you believe has Daas Torah, then it really doesn’t matter if another Rav would have said the same thing. As far as you’re concerned, you did what Hashem wants you to do- you sought the advice of Daas Torah. Nobody else’s opinion matters. The trick is to find that someone who you feel 100% comfortable having them make big-deal decisions for you because you believe that their advice comes from Torah.

One more point: Generally, advice from a mechanech comes from wisdom born of experience and is not necessarily Daas Torah. There is nothing wrong with seeking advice of an experienced mechanech on a chinuch related issue. There is also nothing wrong with seeking the advice of an experienced shidduch mentor on a shidduch related issue. But experience is not enough when it comes to critical decisions which will significantly impact our life. When the consequences are serious, you want Daas Torah behind you, not just experience.

in the gap

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: May 19, 2013, 10:07 PM

While many rabannim may differ on their views in particular situations, similar to many Rabannim holding differently when it comes to Halacha, it is important that each person pick one Rav to follow when it comes to different hashkafic questions. Realise that as long as you add every factor into the question and ask it properly then you will get the answer that you are meant to hear. If it doesn't sit well with you, then you can always ask the Rav to clarify and explain what it is that is bothering you.

bibliophil-
e02

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: February 10, 2014, 12:17 PM

My rav once gave a series of shiurim on medical ethics. When we came to the subject of abortion, he said there are two poskim, both of tremendous stature. One is very meikil and the other is very machmir. The machmir one actually has a teshuvah in which he writes something along the lines of, "I have heard there is a rabbi across the ocean who permits murder..." etc. and my rav was once approached by a woman who had had an abortion after getting a heter from her rav. She was very upset because someone had told her about this teshuvah, and she said to him, "What did I do? What did I do? According to this gadol I'm a murderer!" and my rav said to her, "The rav would have no problem with you." She said, "What do you mean? Of course he would!" And he replied, "No. You went to your rav and did exactly what he told you to do. The gadol would have no problem with you. He might argue with your rav, but he would not say that you had done anything wrong."

It is impossible for us to know what the objective right thing to do is. If the gedolim can't even agree, how would we know? All we can do is follow a rav we trust and Hashem will be happy with us.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.075 seconds.