Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 40 what??
Shaindy

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post 40 what??
on: April 10, 2013, 8:20 PM

Ok everybody are you ready for my question? I was reading the new R' Elyashiv book, and it says on page 415 "When someone asked about the custom to pray at the kosel for 40 consecutive days as a special merit for a salvation, Rav Elyashiv said that the Kosel is always an aspicious place to pray, since the Shechina has never departed from it, bet there is no known source for the custom of praying there for 40 consecutive days."
Anyway so then I was reading the Kupit Hair pamphlet that just got sent out and it says "Somewhere out there, perhaps across the ocean...waits the perfect shidduch for you ..the first thing one should try is to merit is forty days at amukah. After all, it is written in the holy Zohar that "One who prays for something for 40 days consecutive days is certainly answered."
So whats up with that?

iThink

Dating Pro

Send Message
Post Re: 40 what??
on: April 10, 2013, 8:32 PM

If the book quoted him accurately it's possible that he was referring to fourty days davening specifically at the kosel.

iThink

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: April 10, 2013, 8:41 PM

As an aside, I find these pamphlets to be so annoying. Sometimes they make it sound like if you haven't yet signed up for this segula or that or sent them a minimal donation of $___, you haven't done the basic hishtadlus.

bygirl

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: April 10, 2013, 9:30 PM

omg my father is so so against these segulas!! these tzedaka companies run adds and send out pamphelts that cost a fortune, they literally spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on advertizing, and it's all just a big business.

chaykie

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: April 10, 2013, 9:33 PM

yeah i don't get this 40 days thing either. not that i don't believe in it, but i think there is more to it than that. many ppl have been davening for things for much longer than that and have not gotten what they davened for.

happy gal

Dater

Send Message
on: April 11, 2013, 2:28 AM

There is a big problem with these ads because the money goes to a good orgization and they have a million rabbanim, big rabbanim who endorse it on the bottom. The whole 40 day thing must be a Kaballah type of thing. But if it is then certainly Rav Elyashav would know about. Very strange indeed..

Princess-
Lea

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: April 11, 2013, 9:53 AM

Rabbi Yisroel Reisman, along with other rabbanim, came out very strongly against these organizations guaranteeing a specific result.

There are no shortcuts in life. Something worth having is something working hard for, not through paying someone else for it.

One can give tzedakah because they want to help others, but for them to promise something is return is not right nor religious.

feigy123

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: April 11, 2013, 11:11 AM

Think of it like this:

G-d runs the world, and he does what is best for us. And he loves us, and is kind, and generous. G-d sometimes puts us in hard situations, because that is what is best for us, and sometimes that is in order that we should daven to him and become closer to him because that is what is best for us.

Now, does it make sense to you that even thought that is true, if you do some trick, like paying someone to daven for 40 consecutive days, or davening yourself for 40 consecutive days, or doing challa with 40 other people, that you will circumvent G-d's plan?

Or does it make sense that what G-d really wants is for you to daven 40 consecutive days in a certain way? And if they aren't consecutive? And if they weren't all in amuka?

Or to say shir hashirim for 40 days?

In legal terms, we would call that sort of action "arbitrary and capricious". Do you think G-d is arbitrary or capricious? Don't you think G-d wants us to be normal and do our best and just keep the mitzvos like chazal said to and daven like chazal said to? Is he so arbitrary that if you happen to do some trick, then you can circumvent what is really best for you?

Look, daven at the kosel, say shir hashirim, say tehillim, make challah--but do all these things because they are a mitzva. Do them because Hashem said to. Do them because they improve your middos and perfect you so that you can be like G-d, imitatio dei, mah hu af attah.

Or, as Hashem told us: תמים תהיה עם ה
(P.S. You should all read the book by that title written by Rav Yaakov Hillel where he excoriates mukubalim.)

iThink

Dating Pro

Send Message
on: April 11, 2013, 11:16 AM

Feigy123-well said

patcha

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: April 13, 2013, 11:17 PM

ditto iThink

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.075 seconds.