Forums

Suggest a New Forum Category

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "but its three minutes until the train comes"
sem613

Dating Maven

Send Message
Post "but its three minutes until the train comes"
on: August 1, 2013, 12:49 PM

so you know the story about the chofetz chaim and how he used those 3 minutes until the train came to learn something, so I was thinking, I spend so much time waiting for buses (nothing like taking 2 buses to and from work), i really should be using that time productively.
so now comes the hard part, what do I do with that time? i would love to learn something, but i need advice of a sefer thats easy to understand even when not fully focused on it and can be learned in short bursts whenever i get a chance and doesn't need a long time to sit and digest. any suggestions?

life123

Dating Pro

Send Message
Post Re: "but its three minutes until the train comes"
on: August 1, 2013, 12:56 PM

I take The Shmuz on Bitachon - finding and keeping your soul mate - on the train when I go for interviews - it's a small book and easy to read but very good.

patcha

Dating Coach

Send Message
on: August 1, 2013, 1:00 PM

Great thread topic!

What gives you a feeling of accomplishment? If it's memorization, you should memorize Pirkei Avos or Tehillim. Just repeat it over and over until you know it by heart, and you'll feel amazing when you can randomly quote things. 🙂

If you don't like learning, I found learning meforshim on Tehillim also enjoyable. Pick one, preferably a short one like Rashi or Sforno. It's pasuk by pasuk, so you can break it up easily, and it's a tremendous feeling of accomplishment when you're done.

A word of advice: You should pick something you can realistically finish in about 5 months. Shorter than that and it's too easy, longer than that and it feels like forever.

Also, do a little every day, even if the bus comes right away. It's important to have that consistency. If you stop doing it it becomes very hard to get back to it. אם תעזבני יום, יומים אעזבך

not-
nogeiah-
who

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 1, 2013, 1:45 PM

Thanks, patcha! i loved you advice - so, so true on both points.

I also want to point out that a good thing to do with that time is say tehillim. I am not the type pf girl that easily rattles off tehillim every day. for some reason i have a hard time reading it all properly with the nekudos and i get very frustrated at the slow pace i must maintain. One day a few months ago when i was in class watching my students do a chumash final, I decided to do something worthwhile with my time. the only thing at my disposal was a tehillim. I started, and managed to say like 20 perakim. that really encouraged me, and i started realizing that with even just a perek or two a day, you can really finish tehillim pretty quickly! And, as a bonus, the practice makes it easier next time.

sem613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 1, 2013, 3:55 PM

patcha- i really like the idea of rashi on tehillim, since it is easy to break up

not nogiah- i considered the saying tehillim, and I have a friend who did that in seminary and managed to finish Tehillim in about a week just by saying it while waiting for buses (says something about Israeli buses), but I'm way too self conscious to start mumbling to myself at the bus stop, which is why I was thinking of learning something instead.

not-
nogeiah-
who

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 1, 2013, 4:36 PM

sem613 i totally get you! i hear that loud and clear... why don't you do guard you tongue or the power of words, both by rabbi pliskin?
or any of his small pocketsize books

sem613

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 2, 2013, 9:16 AM

so i do shemiras halashon daily, and that takes part of the first wait, which is generally a reliable 5-10 minutes, so I'm looking for something else much more flexable for the rest of them, just not sure what else

not-
nogeiah-
who

Dating Maven

Send Message
on: August 4, 2013, 2:08 AM

so, i recently got Rabbi Pliskin's "Self Confidence" pocket book. But then again, that's a personal choice. the chapters are short and thought-provoking.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.075 seconds.